The James W. Rogers Concert
The James W. Rogers Professorship in Music was established in 1995 by the Mary Stuart Rogers Foundation of Modesto, California, in memory of the late James W. Rogers ’64.
During his four years at Lewis & Clark, Jim was a member of the Lewis & Clark Chorus and various other choral groups. A gifted bass, he particularly enjoyed traveling with the choir on its annual tours.
In recognition of Jim’s lifelong appreciation of music and his respect for Professor Stanley Glarum (Lewis & Clark choral director from 1947 to 1975), the first Rogers Professor of Music was Gilbert Seeley, a gifted teacher and performer of choral music. In 2010, musicologist Aaron Beck was inaugurated as the second Rogers Professor of Music.
Since the establishment of the professorship in music, the Department of Music has curated an annual concert based around a common theme, filled with eclectic music ranging from World Music to Orchestral and Choral, Wind Symphony, Jazz, Electronic Music, and so on.
The Mary Stuart Rogers Foundation contributes to youth and other human service programs, medical research, and education from the elementary through university levels. At Lewis & Clark, the foundation also sponsors the Mary Stuart Rogers Professorship in Education, the Mary Stuart Rogers Scholarship Funds for undergraduate and teacher education students, and the John S. Rogers Science Research Program. Most recently, the foundation also provided funding for the renovation and maintenance of Rogers Hall as a permanent home for the Lewis & Clark Graduate School of Education and Counseling.