- <a href="/live/image/gid/493/width/650/86486_Hispanic_Studies_main_image.jpg" class="lw_preview_image lw_disable_preview" tabindex="-1"><picture class="lw_image lw_image86486"> <source type="image/jpeg" media="(max-width: 500px)" srcset="/live/image/gid/493/width/500/height/479/crop/1/86486_Hispanic_Studies_main_image.rev.1607647309.jpg 1x"/> <source type="image/jpeg" media="(min-width: 501px)" srcset="/live/image/gid/493/width/720/height/690/crop/1/86486_Hispanic_Studies_main_image.rev.1607647309.jpg 1x"/> <img src="/live/image/gid/493/width/720/height/690/crop/1/86486_Hispanic_Studies_main_image.rev.1607647309.jpg" alt="The knowledge of Spanish and Hispanic culture is essential to living and working not only internationally, but in the U.S. as well." width="720" height="690" data-max-w="835" data-max-h="800" loading="lazy"/> </picture> </a><div class="hero-split_image_caption collapsable-caption"> The knowledge of Spanish and Hispanic culture is essential to living and working not only internationally, but in the U.S. as well.</div>
Hispanic studies offers an exploration of the language, cultures, and histories of the vast regions of the world where Spanish is spoken, through the study of literature, film, and other forms of cultural expressions. You will combine advanced linguistic instruction with cultural and historical perspectives, preparing you for a wide range of professional and academic careers.
Why Choose a Degree in Hispanic Studies?
Spanish is the primary language for around 34 million people in the United States alone. Combine this fact with our proximity to and shared interests with Spanish-speaking Latin America and it’s easy to see why you need a knowledge of Spanish and Hispanic culture to thrive in the modern world. By earning a degree in Hispanic studies, you will also become immersed in one of the oldest and richest of the Romance languages and in a culture with roots deep in antiquity.
What You’ll Study
We offer a major and minor in Hispanic studies through the Department of World Languages and Literatures. Our interdisciplinary program offers classes on language, culture, film, and literature on topics like science fiction, theatre, music, poetry, and social activism. Coursework includes speaking, listening, reading, and writing in Spanish, as well as the study of a broad spectrum of cultural analysis, from pre-Columbian Mesoamerican to contemporary Latinx culture in the U.S.
Many of our students earn course credit on overseas programs. In addition to general cultural programs that are open to all students, there are nine programs with a Spanish language focus:
- Chile, Santiago and Valparaíso
- Havana, Cuba
- Cuenca, Ecuador
- Santiago, Dominican Republic
- Mérida, Mexico, health studies and general
- Spain, Granada and Seville
Outside the classroom, the Keck Interactive Learning Center is a language center and community area that is packed with linguistic and cultural resources. The Global Languages and Cultures Living-Learning Community is a unique on-campus housing option with an immersive language-based focus. Our language assistant is a visiting Fulbright scholar who teaches conversation courses and offers tutoring support.
Complement Your Education With One of These Minors
What Students Are Saying About Lewis & Clark
What Can You Do With a Degree in Spanish?
Our alumni use their BA in Hispanic studies in a variety of endeavors. In addition to receiving Fulbright and other grants to teach English or do research in Spanish-speaking countries, our students pursue careers in teaching, law, academia, public health, cultural exchange, media, and other fields.
Our expert professors are your expert mentors. You will learn directly from faculty (no graduate assistants here!) that are nationally recognized in their fields of study and who love to work with and learn from their students. Your professors will inspire you to be a thoughtful and passionate participant in a diverse world. Your small classes will support you as you explore new ideas, find your voice, and speak your truth.
first-generation students at Lewis & Clark College
U.S. states represented in our undergraduate student body
Invest in Yourself
A private liberal arts education is often more affordable than you think. Last year, Lewis & Clark distributed over $74 million in assistance from institutional, federal, state, and private sources. Additionally, we’re so confident that our first-year students will graduate with their bachelor of arts degree in four years that if you don’t, we’ll cover the extra semester of tuition.
Find Your People
The student-led Spanish Club organizes activities like salsa lessons, movie nights, and attending local performances and events in Spanish. One of the oldest journals at L&C, Polyglot gives the opportunity to students of all levels to publish their work in Spanish.
Where Lewis & Clark Will Take You
- Sophie Vigeant BA ’19More about Sophie
The most important thing I learned at L&C was how to collaborate with people. My classes at L&C fostered a community of participation where we worked together and shared ideas in order to understand concepts. I use this ability to collaborate in my life after college and hope to continue using it in grad school.
Join us for a talk by Dr. Andrea Sempértegui titled “Mujeres Amazónicas’ Fight against Extractivism in Ecuador.
Monday, November 20 in Smith Hall from 12:40pm to 1:40 pm