Sociology and Anthropology
Students majoring in sociology and anthropology (SOAN) are members of an enthusiastic intellectual community dedicated to the study of the social and cultural processes that shape our contemporary world. Our students join in the critical investigation of pressing issues of the day: capitalism, migration, tourism, environmental sustainability, religious commitment, violence and suffering, health care, food systems, social injustice, technological innovation, nationalism, and more. Our classes are attuned to how these processes impact the everyday lives of people in Asia, North America, Latin America, Africa, and the Middle East. First-hand research is at the core of the SOAN experience, with faculty and students working closely together on projects in the classroom, the Portland community, and abroad. Together, we work on developing the thinking tools, research skills, and social ethics that prepare us to understand the world and act in it.
- <img class="hero_image_placeholder" src="/live/image/gid/296/width/1600/height/470/crop/1/81037_TEX_Acrylic3_detail1_2000x1000px.rev.1572366016.jpg" alt="Hero image"/>
- <img class="hero_image_placeholder" src="/live/image/gid/296/width/1600/height/470/crop/1/81035_TEX_Acrylic1_detail1_2000x1000px.rev.1572366015.jpg" alt="Hero image"/>
- <img class="hero_image_placeholder" src="/live/image/gid/296/width/1600/height/470/crop/1/80517_dept_texture-H-1897_1.rev.1569519653.jpg" alt="Hero image"/>
- <img class="hero_image_placeholder" src="/live/image/gid/296/width/1600/height/470/crop/1/81036_TEX_Acrylic2_detail1_2000x1000px.rev.1572366016.jpg" alt="Hero image"/>
- <img class="hero_image_placeholder" src="/live/image/gid/296/width/1600/height/470/crop/1/81040_TEX_Chalk1_detail2_2000x1000px.rev.1572366017.jpg" alt="Hero image"/>
- <img class="hero_image_placeholder" src="/live/image/gid/296/width/1600/height/470/crop/1/81038_TEX_Acrylic4_detail1_2000x1000px.rev.1572366017.jpg" alt="Hero image"/>
No one can give you a better sense of what it’s really like to be a sociology and anthropology student at Lewis & Clark than our current students and recent alumni.
- <div class="flexbox"><div class="student_profile_image item"><a href="/live/profiles/8328-zayla-asquith-heinz"><img src="/live/image/gid/186/width/310/height/310/crop/1/src_region/0,0,3200,2136/74946_PEO-B-0417-0362.rev.1539033331.jpg" alt=""/></a></div><div class="student_profile_content item"><h4><a href="/live/profiles/8328-zayla-asquith-heinz">Zayla Asquith-Heinz</a></h4><div class="student_profile_details"><div class="student_profile_class">Class of 2019</div><div class="student_profile_extracurriculars"><strong>Extracurriculars:</strong> College Outdoors (Hike With a Professor creator)</div><div class="student_profile_hometown"><strong>Hometown:</strong> Haines, Alaska</div></div></div></div>
News and Events
Dr. Oren Kosansky awarded competitive sabbatical fellowship
Georgia Reid, SOAN/ENVS Major, BA ’20, was awarded one of three 2020 Oregon Heritage Fellowships, via the State Department of Parks & Recreation, to present and extend her Fall 2019 SOAN thesis research on the environmental history and contemporary interest in flax-to-linen production in Oregon.