Courses & Degree Info:
SOAN Course Substitution Process (updated FA22):
To request SOAN major credit for a course taken at another institution or in another department at Lewis & Clark College, please follow these steps after the course has been completed (for additional information, please also consult the SOAN Course Substitution Guide):
- Step 1: Submit a Course Substitution Form, which you can find on the CAS Registrar Forms webpage.
- Step 2: Email a copy of your completed Course Substitution Form to the SOAN department chair.
- Step 3: Submit a SOAN Course Substitution Form
- Step 4: Email a copy of your completed SOAN Course Substitution Form to the SOAN department chair.
Declaring Your Major:
- Major Declaration Form (via the Registrar)
- SOAN Faculty Advisor Policy (please read before declaring as a SOAN Major!)
- List of Faculty Accepting New Advisees in Spring 2023
Completing the Major:
SOAN Major Requirements: see catalog
- Graduation/Gen Ed Requirements Worksheet (via Advising Resources)
- SOAN Advising Guide
Study and Research:
- SAAB Research Grants
SOAN Summer Enrichment Fund (SU 2023 application now live!)
Angelina Peterson, 2021 Awardee: Angelia used the SOAN Summer Enrichment Fund to supplement her income while serving as a research intern at the Animal law litigation clinic at Lewis and Clark law school where she learned how to use several legal research platforms as well as read and interpret legal documents, worked on a case against humane washing and greenwashing of animal products, and conducted survey research on consumer attitudes towards humanely raised animal products.
Mateo Telles, 2021 Awardee: Mateo used the SOAN Summer Enrichment Fund to supplement his income while interning with the COVID-19 Oregon Farmworker Study (COFS) which has been leading the contemporary research on how Oregon’s agricultural, migrant workers have been (and continue to be) disproportionately affected both by the pandemic and seasonal wildfires; as well as racial/ethnic/gender prejudices that have been exacerbated by the two.
- Nicole Lewis, 2021 Awardee: Nicole used the SOAN Summer Enrichment Fund to conduct thesis research both independently and through an internship with NAFCON (National Alliance for Filipino Concerns) in order to interview members of the Filipino community in Portland, as well as overseas, regarding their conceptions, experiences, and management of mental health and healing.
Milania Lucia Soares Da Costa, 2022 Awardee: Milania used the SOAN Summer Enrichment Fund to support her research and ethnographic recording of her grandmother’s life experience during Portuguese colonization, Indonesian invasion, and Timor-Leste post-independence. While conducting her research, MIlania also found an opportunity to do an internship with an organization called Asia Justice and Rights (AJAR) for almost two months.
- Other LC Summer Internship Grants
- AAA Scholarship Opportunities
Internships, Practicums, and Independent Studies
- Independent Study / Directed Study
- Internship / Practicum Learning Agreement
- Internship Search Resources (via LC Career Center)
Senior Thesis Guide (updated SP23)
- Senior Thesis Pre-Registration Form (The submission deadline for the 23 - 24 academic year has passed, please contact the dept admin for more info if needed)
- SOAN Honors
- Senior Thesis Upload
- Senior Thesis Archives
Student SAAB Rep for 2022 - 2023: Rose Thompson