Internship or Practicum
Practica and internships allow students to gain academic credit for field experiences. Faculty supervision ensures a rigorous academic component. This agreement acts in lieu of a syllabus for a regular course. It assists faculty and students in determining that activities are worthy of academic credit as well as setting goals for learning.
The activity has two components:
- an academic component supervised by your faculty sponsor
- the internship activity supervised by a site supervisor (which may or may not be your faculty sponsor)
- Find a faculty sponsor to arrange an academic component to compliment the internship activities. Your sponsor should be in an academic department or program related to the type of internship you’ll be completing.
- To help you prepare, we suggest you use the Worksheet for Internships found below. Note that this is not the official agreement. It is a worksheet that helps you discuss your learning objectives with your faculty sponsor and prepare the information necessary to complete the official Learning Agreement.
- Submit the Internship/Practicum Learning Agreement
- You will receive an automated response and a copy of the Learning Agreement when it is submitted.
- Forward a copy of that response (and Learning Agreement) to your faculty sponsor and ask your sponsor to complete the Faculty Approval form. (Directions for the Faculty member will be included at the bottom of the Learning Agreement that you forward.)
- If you are working at an organization (or in an LC office) where you will have a site supervisor who is not your faculty sponsor, you must also forward a copy of the automated response and Learning Agreement to your site supervisor. Ask your site supervisor to complete the Site Supervisor Approval form.
- Worksheet for Internships - helps you and your faculty sponsor prepare to answer the questions on the Internship/Practicum Learning Agreement
- Internship/Practicum Learning Agreement (Should be completed with the assistance of your faculty sponsor)
- Site Supervisor Approval form (necessary if you are being supervised by someone other than your faculty sponsor)
We strongly urge you to submit the internship/practicum learning agreement during priority registration, but it can be completed during the add/drop period. Keep in mind that the form and approvals from your faculty sponsor and site supervisor (if necessary) must all be submitted no later than 4pm on the last day of the add/drop period.