Majoring and Minoring
For complete information about majoring and minoring, see the online catalog.
Apply! Major and Minor Declaration Form
Please note that effective August 2022, these are the new Hispanic Studies Major and Minor requirements. For Major and Minor requirements for earlier catalog years, please visit the LC Catalog.
- A minimum of 36 semester credits (9 courses) beyond Spanish 202, distributed as follows:
- SPAN 301 or SPAN 301H
- SPAN 321
- SPAN 360 (must be completed before taking the 400-level capstone)
- 12 credits (3 courses) above SPAN 360 at the SPAN 300-level (If the course allows it, a course may be taken twice with a change of topic and both iterations may apply.)
- 1 SPAN 400-level capstone course (must have completed overseas program prior)
- 8 credits (2 courses) of electives related to Hispanic Studies to be completed on-campus or overseas
- No more than 8 credits total may be applied to the major from overseas.
- At least 1 semester in a language-intensive overseas program:
- Current offerings include: Merida, Mexico; Santiago or Valparaiso, Chile; or Granada, Spain (language intensive). Whenever possible, a minimum of 2 academic courses should be taken at the local university associated with the program. These programs require a GPA of 3.000 in Spanish courses.
- The department recommends that Hispanic studies majors spend a full year in one of these programs or combine a semester in one program with a semester at another site.
- A minimum of 20 semester credits beyond SPAN 202, distributed as follows:
- A minimum of 12 semester credits chosen from the following on-campus courses:
- SPAN 301 or 301H
- SPAN 321
- SPAN 360
- SPAN 365
- SPAN 370
- SPAN 375
- A maximum of 8 semester credits from an approved Lewis & Clark overseas program may be applied to the minor.
- Participation in an approved Spanish-language Lewis & Clark overseas program is required.