Japanese Placement Exam
The online Japanese proficiency test for incoming students (first year and transfer) will be open from May 12th, 2021 until August 24th, 2021.
You are encouraged to take the exam by July 15, which will help you and your advisor plan your fall semester courses prior to registration on July 28 and July 30, 2021.
This test takes up to 100 minutes, so please plan accordingly.
The Japanese proficiency test is required of all students wishing to place into language classes above first-year (101) Japanese. If you will be taking JAPN 101, you do not need to take the exam. We wish to put you in the class that will be best suited to your abilities and motivation, so it is highly recommended that you see a Japanese instructor during NSO, no matter your placement on the online exam.
If you place into JAPN 202 or higher (and thus satisfy the College’s Foreign Language requirement), you are required to have an in-person follow-up meeting with a Japanese instructor to verify your results.
Accessing the Exam
- You are encouraged to take the exam by July 15th.
- Chrome is the preferred Internet Browser to access the exam, but any browser would work.
- The test is in our course management system, Moodle. You will log in to Moodle using your Lewis & Clark username and password.
- Your username is the first part of your LC email address up to the @. If you don’t have an LC email yet, create it by going to Account Management and selecting Create LC Account.
- If you don’t know your password, you can reset it by going to Account Management and selecting Reset Password.
- Questions about your LC account? Call the IT Service Desk at 503-768-7225 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- After you log in to Moodle, you will be asked if you wish to enroll in this course. Click “Yes.”
- Read the additional information and click on the Attempt Quiz Now button at the bottom. The same page of instructions will show up again because it is important that you read all the instructions before taking the test!
If you have any questions about the exam that are not addressed in the FAQ above, please send an email to email@example.com.