Call for Proposals
42nd Annual Gender Studies Symposium
March 8–10, 2023
Bodies of Knowledge:
Gender, Sex, Science, and Medicine
You are invited to submit proposals for presentation at the 42nd Annual Lewis & Clark College Gender Studies Symposium, March 8-10, 2023.
This interdisciplinary symposium is designed to bring together people from academia, activism, and the arts to examine concepts of science and medicine in relation to gender and sexuality. We invite you to read the full description of this year’s theme.
We are accepting proposals for individual academic papers (each lasting 15-20 minutes), full panels, interactive workshops, roundtable discussions, readings, and artistic productions. Please see our explanations of the different presentation formats.
We intend to hold events in person. Some sessions may be streamed for remote viewing, but presenters should plan to share work in person on campus. Information about L&C COVID-19 policies can be found on our website..
All presentations examining issues of gender and sexuality will be considered, but we especially welcome those focusing on science and medicine. To generate some thinking, we offer the following list of possible topics for exploration, but we stress that presentations do not need to address these areas of inquiry:
- trans health and medicine
- political resistance and personal experience
- disability, access, and exclusion
- knowledge production, expertise, and authority
- gender and sexual diversity in medicine/science professions
- definition, diagnosis, and medicalization
- abortion, contraception, surrogacy, and reproductive care
A call for visual art will be posted to the symposium website in January. We are not currently accepting visual art submissions.
Proposals must be received by Friday, November 4, 2022, at 5 pm.
Proposals should consist of a single PDF or Word file containing the following:
- presenter’s name, pronouns (if you wish), email address, and institutional affiliation (if relevant)
- title of presentation
- format of presentation (Please consult our glossary for definitions of different types of presentations. If you are proposing something other than an individual paper to be combined with others to form a complete panel, please indicate the preferred duration of your session. We will plan for 15-20 minutes for each presentation on a panel.)
- brief biographical information of presenter(s) or one-page CV (Please do not send a full CV.)
- proposal (< 800 words)
- brief bibliography or list of sources (as relevant)
- anticipated AV needs and any other logistical or technical requirements
If you are a student, please indicate if your presentation will be drawn from work in a course or internship, is part of a thesis, or is based on independent research.
If submitting a full panel, please include the above information for all presenters on the panel.
Send proposals to:
Gender Studies Symposium Planning Committee
The planning committee will confirm receipt of proposals. If you do not hear from the committee by Sunday, November 6, 2022, then you should assume that we did not receive your proposal.
Announcement of accepted proposals will be made by email in December. The full program schedule will be posted to the symposium website by mid-January.
Please direct questions to Kimberly Brodkin, symposium faculty director, firstname.lastname@example.org.