Call for Proposals
Lack & Absence
40th ANNUAL GENDER STUDIES SYMPOSIUM
LEWIS & CLARK COLLEGE
March 10-12, 2021
You are invited to submit proposals for presentation at the 40th Annual Lewis & Clark College Gender Studies Symposium, March 10-12, 2021.
This interdisciplinary symposium is designed to bring together people from academia, activism, and the arts to examine concepts of lack and absence in relation to gender and sexuality.
We are accepting proposals for individual academic papers (each lasting 15-20 minutes), full panels, interactive workshops, roundtable discussions, readings, and artistic productions. Please see our explanations of the different presentation formats. Please keep in mind that all events may take place on Zoom.
All presentations examining issues of gender and sexuality will be considered, but we especially welcome those focusing on questions of lack and absence. To generate some thinking, we offer the following list of possible topics for exploration, but we stress that presentations do not need to address these areas of inquiry:
- erasure and (in)visibility
- labor politics
- historical narratives and the archive
- accessibility and representation in art, media, and politics
- BIPOC feminisms
- community and social ties
- selfhood and the body
- activist spaces and organizations
- systems, structures, and institutions
For more information about this year’s theme, please visit our overview page.
A call for visual art will be posted to the symposium website in January. We are not currently accepting visual art submissions.
Proposals must be received by
Friday, November 6, 2020, at 5 pm.
Proposals should consist of a single PDF or Word file containing the following:
- presenter’s name, pronouns (if you wish), email address, and institutional affiliation (if relevant)
- title of presentation
- format of presentation (Please consult our glossary for definitions of different types of presentations. If you are proposing something other than an individual paper to be combined with others to form a complete panel, please indicate the preferred duration of your session. We will plan for 15-20 minutes for each presentation on a panel.)
- brief biographical information of presenter(s) or one-page CV (Please do not send a full CV.)
- proposal (< 800 words)
- brief bibliography or list of sources (as relevant)
- anticipated AV needs and any other logistical or technical requirements [Please also address what it would mean for you to present remotely.]
If you are a student, please indicate if your presentation will be drawn from work in a course or internship, is part of a thesis, or is based on independent research.
If submitting a full panel, please include the above information for all presenters on the panel.
Send proposals to:
Gender Studies Symposium Planning Committee
The planning committee will confirm receipt of proposals. If you do not hear from the committee by Sunday, November 8, 2020, then you should assume that we did not receive your proposal.
Announcement of accepted proposals will be made by email in December. The full program schedule will be posted to the symposium website by mid-January.
Please direct questions to Kimberly Brodkin, symposium faculty director, email@example.com.