- Academic English Studies (ESL)
- Asian Studies
- Biochemistry/Molecular Biology
- Environmental Studies
- Ethnic Studies
- Exploration and Discovery
- Foreign Languages
- French Studies
- Gender Studies
- German Studies
- Health Professions
- Hispanic Studies
- International Affairs
- Latin American Studies
- Mathematics/Computer Science
- Political Economy
- Political Science
- Religious Studies
- Rhetoric and Media Studies (formerly Communication)
- Sociology and Anthropology
Foreign Languages Major
A minimum of 32 semester hours (16 in the primary language and 12 in the secondary language and 4 in linguistics), including one semester overseas, distributed as follows:
FL 240 Introduction to linguistics
Four upper-level courses (a minimum of 16 semester hours) beyond 202 including:
French, German, or Spanish:
1) 301 Composition and Conversation (or equivalent from study abroad)
2) 321 Introduction to Literary Studies (or equivalent from study abroad)
3) a) French: 330 Francophone Literature or 340 French Literature and Society or 350 Topics in French or Francophone Literature; a 400-level course taught on campus: 410 Major Periods in French Literature or 450 Special Topics
b) Spanish: 360 Latin America and Spain: Pre-Columbian to Baroque or 370 Latin America and Spain: Enlightenment to the Present and a 400-level course taught on campus; 440 Topics in Hispanic Literatures or 446 Special Topics in Hispanic Literatures and Cultures or 450 Special Topics.
c) German: 350 Topics in German Literature and Culture; a 400-level course taught on campus: 410 Major Periods in German Literature or 450 Special Topics
4) 1-3 courses from a semester overseas program
Chinese, Japanese, and Russian:
1) 230 Introduction to Literature in Translation or 290 Topics in Literature in Translation
2) Three upper-level courses (a minimum of 12 semester hours) beyond 202 taught in the language, one of which must be taken on campus
A minimum of one semester studying overseas in the primary language is required.
Three upper-level courses (a minimum of 12 semester hours) beyond 202 selected from:
French, German, and Spanish:
1) 301 Composition and Conversation
2) 321 Introduction to Literary Studies or equivalent
3) German, Spanish 230 Literature in Translation or two Conversation courses (251&252 or 261&262), French 261&262. With special permission, French 330 or 340 or 350 and Spanish 360 or 370; German 350 or 410 or 450.
Chinese, Japanese, and Russian:
1) Chin, Japn 310 – Readings and Composition, Russ 330 – Readings and Conversation in Russian
2) Chin 320 – Advanced Readings, Japn 320 – Readings and Composition in Japanese II, Russ 351 –Russian Composition and Conversation.
3) One Literature in Translation course (Chin, Japn, Russ 230 or 290)
4) Chin, Japn 410 – Advanced Readings in Chinese/Japanese: Society and Culture, Japanese 420 – Advanced Readings in Japanese: Fiction and Nonfiction, Russ 420 – Advanced Readings in Russian: Fiction and Nonfiction.
5) Chin, Japn and Russ conversation courses 251&252.
Study abroad is not required for the secondary language. For those who do study abroad in a secondary language, at least one upper-level course has to be taken on campus.
Oral proficiency evaluations in the primary language are recommended for the Foreign Languages major.