Independent or Directed Study for Faculty
This page contains information for faculty regarding the Independent or Directed Study process.
This agreement acts in lieu of a syllabus for a regular course. It assists faculty and students in determining that activities are worthy of academic credit as well as setting goals for learning.
- The student will consult with the faculty sponsor to develop learning objectives. The faculty sponsor should be in an academic department or program related to the type of independent/directed study being completed by the student.
To help students and faculty design the independent/directed study, there is a Worksheet for Internships document found below. Note that this is not the official agreement. It is a worksheet that helps the student and sponsoring faculty member discuss learning objectives and prepare the information necessary to complete the official Learning Agreement.
- The student will submit the Independent/Directed Study Learning Agreement and will receive an automated response and a copy of the Learning Agreement when it is submitted. The student must forward that response to the sponsoring faculty member.
- Using the response forwarded by the student, the faculty member will complete the Independent/Directed Study Faculty Approval form.
- Worksheet for Independent/Directed Study - helps you and your student prepare the learning objectives and helps the student prepare to answer the questions on the Independent/Directed Study Learning Agreement
- Faculty Sponsor Approval form for Independent/Directed Study (Should be completed after reviewing the student learning agreement)
Note that students can find the link to the Worksheet and the student learning agreement on the Student Independent/Directed Study webpage.
We strongly urge you to submit the Independent/Directed Study learning agreement and approval during priority registration, but it can be completed during the add/drop period. Keep in mind that the form and approvals from student and faculty sponsor must all be submitted no later than 4pm on the last day of the add/drop period.