First Year Registration Overview
How do I know what courses to select?
Before you select your courses for fall semester, it is important to both meet with your academic advisor and to study the Lewis & Clark College Catalog, especially the section on requirements. You can also find more information on our Choosing Courses page.
On what day do I register?
This summer you will register for your fall semester courses in two “rounds”.
- Your first registration appointment will be on August 1.
- Your second registration appointment will be on August 3.
During the first round of registration:
- You will register for one 3-5 credit course. (Note that you will already be registered for your CORE course.) You will not be able to choose a PE/A or MUP course.
During the second round of registration:
- You will register for your remaining courses up to 19 credits.
Please note that after August 3rd, registration remains open until August 12 to allow you to make changes or take advantage of wait-listed seats that may become available for you. Because class sizes are small and some courses fill quickly, it is in your best interest to register at your appointment time, though you can still fill out your schedule during open registration.
New Student Orientation
In late August you will meet with your faculty advisor and will have an opportunity to make adjustments to your schedule if necessary.
What time do I register?
To view your registration appointment time
- Login to WebAdvisor using your LC User ID and password
- Click on the Students menu
- Under Registration, select Registration Permissions
- Choose 22/FA CAS-Fall 2022. Beginning July 1st you will be able to see the dates and times at which you are scheduled to register for your courses. Note that there will be multiple registration appointment times/dates.
How were these registration times selected?
Registration “lottery” numbers are randomly assigned to incoming freshmen. These lottery numbers determine your registration time, and those times shift every semester so that you have the opportunity to register in the most desirable registration times as well as the less popular times.
What else should I know?
- You will be able to register or waitlist only for courses for which you have met the prerequisites. Check prerequisites in the current online Course Schedule. For more information about waitlists - see the waitlist page.
- If a course is full, you can add yourself to the waitlist in the same way that you register for a course, but be sure to waitlist yourself first, and then register for your other courses. If a space becomes available and you are next on the waitlist, you will be notified by email. You will have 2 days to respond to the email.
- You will not be permitted to register for courses with time conflicts - no matter how small the conflict.
- You may register for only one PE/A 101 (activity) course per semester. Registration for PE/A 102 (varsity sports) courses may also be done on-line, but your registration is subject to approval by the Varsity coach during the add/drop period.
What should I do before my registration time?
- Find your registration appointment days and times (see above)
- Meet with your Academic Advisor to select courses and alternates.
- Have your advisor assist you with creating your “preferred sections list” or “shopping cart” of courses on WebAdvisor.
- First year students do not need advisor approval to register for Fall but will need approval in future semesters.
- Confirm that any expected placement scores or AP/IB credits are recorded. You can see this information in the Test Summary section of WebAdvisor.
- Instructor consent may be necessary if the course requires it or if you do not meet the prerequisites or restrictions listed for the course. Contact the instructor directly for permission. Confirmation of instructor approval will appear in the Registration Permissions area of WebAdvisor.
What if I have credit that I want to transfer from another institution?
- Be sure that you have submitted official college transcripts to the Admissions Office.
- Respond to any inquiries for additional information or syllabi from the Registrar’s Office.
Check that Prerequisites have been met with Transfer Credit (if applicable)
- If you have transfer credit that should meet the prerequisite for an LC course, you can submit a Course Substitution form to our at firstname.lastname@example.org. This form must be approved by the faculty chair of the relevant department.
Please note that official documentation of the coursework must be on file in the Registrar’s office in order to have credit awarded.
What if I want more detailed instructions?
There are more detailed WebAdvisor instructions available by visiting the Online Registration Instructions webpage.
Our College Advising Center also maintains a video library which demonstrates the use of several WebAdvisor processes. These videos are both entertaining and helpful.
What could prevent my registration?
- If you have not completed your Summer Checklist, you may not be able to register for certain courses - this is particularly true if the course requires a math placement exam (ALEKS) or a World Language placement exam.
- If you have not yet submitted your advanced placement scores (AP or IB), or an official transcript from another college, you may not be able to register for a course which requires a prerequisite that might be satisfied by that AP/IB or transfer coursework.
- If you have a financial matter that has not been resolved, your registration could be impacted during the add/drop period.
Check WebAdvisor for My Holds/Restrictions
- Check for holds which may prevent registration and address them before registration begins.
What and When is the Add/Drop period?
You can find more information about the add/drop period by visiting our Add/Drop webpage.
Where can I find other resources?
If you have questions about registration, contact:
the Registrar’s Office
If you have questions about AP, IB, or Transfer Credit, contact:
the Registrar’s Office