LINEUP INSTRUCTIONS AND CEREMONY OVERVIEW
Saturday, May 5th, 1 p.m.
OFF-CAMPUS: Georgia Pacific Room, Veterans Memorial Coliseum
- When you arrive with your cap and gown, pick up your numbered name card at the tables at the North Wall and keep it with you.
- Line up numerically by number on your name card. This provides alphabetical order of those marching.
- You will be seated and receive your degrees in this order as well.
- Signs will be posted to assist in finding your location in line; we will also have faculty marshals to assist with lining up.
- It is very important that you maintain your place in line and that you hold on to the card with your name and number on it. Your name will be announced from the information on the card.
- Tassels should be worn on the right side of the cap and moved to the left side after you receive your diploma cover.
- PLEASE TAKE ALL BELONGINGS WITH YOU.
ORDER OF PROCESSION
Marshals for Faculty
Marshals for Degree Candidates
- Faculty marshals will lead the processional and recessional to/from the event venue.
- At a designated point, faculty, staff, and platform party will form two rows and degree candidates will process between them, following the flags.
- Degree candidates will then proceed into the venue and down the middle aisle, following the marshals.
- As directed by marshals, please move down to the end of your row quickly to avoid a backup of candidates in the center aisle.
- Do not leave any empty seats. There will be a commencement program on your chair already.
- Remain standing until after the U.S. National Anthem is sung by the Senior Chorus.
- Remain seated throughout the ceremony unless told otherwise by the Dean.
FORMAL CONFERRAL OF BACHELOR OF ARTS DEGREE
- Interim Dean Suttmeier will ask degree candidates to stand for conferral of degree.
- President Wiewel will formally confer your Bachelor of Arts degrees as a graduating class.
PRESENTATION OF DIPLOMA COVER WITH CONGRATULATORY MESSAGE FROM FACULTY BY PRESIDENT
- Following the conferral, Interim Dean Suttmeier will ask that you be seated and come forward at the direction of the marshals who will assist in guiding this process.
- Candidates on LEFT FACING STAGE will exit for stage from the left. Following conferral of degree, you will proceed to your seat via the center aisle. (Please see attached Diagram)
- Candidates on the RIGHT FACING STAGE will process to the stage for degree conferral by exiting your row on the right side (facing stage). Then proceed back until you reach the end of candidate rows and continue to the outside aisle of those graduates seated in the left column. Proceed toward stage on their left. When you receive your degree, proceed in front of the stage and return to your seat via the center aisle. (Please see attached Diagram)
- Give your name card to the faculty marshal at the base of the steps to the stage.
- Your name will be read by the faculty reader.
- As you walk across the stage, President Wiewel will present your diploma cover—with congratulatory message from faculty—and shake your hand.
- At that moment, a professional photo will be taken.
- Interim Dean Suttmeier and other members of the platform party will also congratulate you as you cross the stage.
- As you descend the steps from the stage, please stop for a professional photograph in front of the backdrop.
- When you return to your seat, please remain seated until all graduates have been recognized individually.
CEREMONY CLOSE AND RECESSION
- Interim Dean Suttmeier will deliver a charge to the class and invite the audience to stand for the singing of the Alma Mater.
- The Graduate Chorus will lead in the singing of the Alma Mater.
- At the end of the ceremony, the platform party will lead you in a formal recessional. The faculty marshals will direct you.
ORDER OF RECESSION
Marshal for Faculty
Marshals for Graduates