**This trip has been postponed. Our new projected travel dates are July 24 - August 3, 2021. We will post updated information as soon as our dates are confirmed. Thank you for your patience.**
August 8 - 18, 2020
Led by Liz Safran, Associate Professor of Geological Sciences
Accompanied by President Wim Wiewel and Senior Associate Director of Alumni and Parent Programs, Emily Decker ’85.
This amazing Icelandic adventure combines the breathtaking scenery of Iceland’s natural beauty with the sophisticated urban center of Reykjavik.
After arriving in Reykjavik, we’ll travel up the east coast of Iceland exploring the east fjords, Eglisstadir Wilderness Area and the vastness of the highland desert plateau, Modrudalsoraefi, as we head towards the Lake Myvatn area in the north. Each day will bring a new adventure.
After exploring the north, we’ll fly from Akureyri back to Reykjavik for our final two nights. Glaciers, caving, the magnificent Dettifoss and Godafoss waterfalls, and remarkable geologic wonders await us!
We will begin and end our trip with time in Reykjavik where we’ll enjoy free time to explore museums and galleries, theater, boutiques, and restaurants. Local L&C alumni will provide special opportunities for our group, ensuring a distinctive, personal experience in this remarkable country. Alumni, parents, and friends, we hope you will travel with us!
August 8 - 18, 2020
About 16 to 22 participants.
- Descend 400 feet to the bottom of the dormant Thrihnukagigur volcano.
- Witness the powerful waves and amazing basalt column features and walk the black sands of Reynisfjara beach.
- Learn about Iceland’s natural wonders from L&C geologist, Liz Safran.
- Explore the glacial area within Vatnajökull National Park, including Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon.
- Spend two nights in the Wilderness Center near Egilsstadir, North-Europe’s largest wilderness area. This area is revered for it’s snow-streaked mountains, incredible waterfalls, far-reaching views, and free roaming herds of wild reindeer.
- Optional horseback riding or biking in Wilderness Center.
- Explore the magnificent East Fjords with views of towering mountains plunging vertically into the sea.
- Visit Detifoss, Europe’s most powerful waterfall.
- Explore north Iceland with its badlands of lava pillars, boiling mud pools, and unique connection to Iceland’s Viking age.
- Soak in the magical Myvatn Nature Baths.
- Whale watching in Hauganes.
- Experience Reykjavik with Hjordis Magnusdottir ’83 and Benedikt Hoskuldsson ’83.
Centerhotel Midgardur (4 nights total)
KEA Katla Hotel by Vík (1 night)
Fosshótel Vatnajökull by Höfn* (1 night)
Icelandair Hotel Herad* (2 nights)
Icelandair Hotel Mývatn (1 night)
Icelandair Hotel Akureyri (1 night)
Price includes breakfast each day, six lunches, and seven dinners. Meals on your own will give you the opportunity to explore the many wonderful tastes of Iceland!
- Deposit: $800 per person (non-refundable)
- Double Occupancy: $5990 per person ($800 deposit, plus final payment of $5190).
- Single Occupancy: $7150 per person ($800 deposit, plus final payment of $6,350).
- Airfare not included.
Deposit Due Date (paid to Lewis & Clark College, non-refundable)
**Limited spots still available - deposit deadline extended until Wednesday, April 1!**
Final Payment Due Date (paid to Iceland Travel)
Friday, May 15, 2020
Flights and Arrival
Participants select and book their own flights arriving in Reykjavik by Saturday morning, August 8, 2020. Airport transfer to our first excursion will be scheduled for Saturday morning. Please email Emily Decker in the Alumni and Parent Programs office (email@example.com) if you are considering a flight that arrives in Reykjavik after 9:30 a.m. local time. All of our Pioneer Travel trips require a minimum number of participants. For this reason, do not purchase non-refundable airfare until we have confirmed with you that the trip is a go. We will let you know this asap. **Good News! This trip is officially a GO. We do have a limited number of spots still open before we are completely full - but all confirmed travelers may now move forward and purchase airplane tickets. All questions should be directed to Emily Decker: firstname.lastname@example.org**
Travel Insurance is strongly recommended and often must be purchased within several days of making your trip deposit or purchasing your airfare. It is available for a modest fee from most insurance companies and travel agents. You are encouraged to research the best option for you.
Need More Information?
The most complete information, including itinerary details, trip inclusions and exclusions, and terms and conditions may be found at the links below. Please read ALL of this information carefully. After you’ve read through all of this information, if you still have questions, please do not hesitate contacting Emily Decker at email@example.com or 503-768-7838.
Once you click the “Register Here” button below, you will have 10 minutes to complete the process. Please have your passport handy before you begin. We’re looking forward to traveling with you!
Learn More about Liz:
I am a geomorphologist — a geologist who worries about how landscapes evolve. I am originally from the Boston area but have been on the west coast throughout my graduate and post-doctoral work, which I did at the University of Washington, University of California (UC), Santa Barbara and UC Santa Cruz. I was first drawn into geology through a class taught by Stephen Jay Gould, with the modest title of “The History of Earth and of Life.” Once I learned that field trips and camping were required elements of the geology major, I was hooked. I have been at Lewis & Clark College since 2000. For me, this is a wonderful professional setting, where I get to interact with intellects from vastly different fields and with inquisitive, gung-ho students. Our inaugural Pioneer Travel trip to Iceland in 2018 was an incredible experience and I have no doubt that our August 2020 trip will be equally amazing.
Academic Credentials: PhD 1998 University of California at Santa Barbara, M.S 1993 University of Washington, BA 1989 Harvard University
POSTPONED. New anticipated travel dates: July 24 - August 3, 2021