How will PSI help me during my first term at L&C?
- In PSI, you and your peers will discuss topics with a staff facilitator and a student co-facilitator about how to make the most of your Lewis & Clark experience. We will talk about how to be successful in and out of the classroom and where to find resources when challenges arise.
Will I receive credit for attending the sessions?
- No academic credit is awarded for completing PSI. However, all degree-seeking students are expected to complete PSI during their first semester of college at L&C.
Will faculty be leading the sessions?
- PSI will be facilitated by an L&C employee and a student co-facilitator. Both have specialized training and a desire to help students make the most of their time here.
How important for student success is PSI?
- Transitioning into college involves adjustment for every new L&C student. PSI is designed to help all new students develop a plan for how to make the most of their time at L&C.
Will PSI help me find an on-campus job?
- In PSI, you’ll have access to a group of people who can help point you in the right direction and prepare you for many different ways that you can engage at L&C, including through on-campus employment.
How is PSI different from NSO?
- PSI is like NSO 2.0; NSO concludes before classes begin, and is designed to give you everything you need to make it through the first couple of weeks. Once classes begin, PSI takes the baton to help you forge meaning out of your first term at L&C and connect the dots on the resources that you might not have known you would need before classes began.
Where will the sessions be held?
- PSI sessions will be held in meeting rooms and classrooms around campus. You’ll get your assignment during the first week of class.
How long does PSI last?
- Your PSI cohort will meet six times over the first eight weeks of classes.
The first six weeks of College are critical for student engagement. When students make a positive connection to a peer group, or a staff/faculty member in the first six weeks, they are far more likely to succeed and graduate from their institution. We want to help our students to cultivate these types of connection. We also know that as the semester grows on, classes can get pretty hectic, so we’re sticking to the first part of your semester.
How many people will be in each section?
- PSI sections will be capped at 30.
What is the structure of the sessions?
- Each session will include some time for the group to check-in with one another about what is going on in their classes and extra-curriculars. Then, the group will spend some time exploring the topic of the week, discussing in small and large groups. Each PSI meeting will be 90 minutes long.
When will the sessions be held?
- Later on this summer, students will be able to select a time for PSI that works with their class schedule.
What topics will be covered in PSI?
- Voyages of Discovery
- Difference, Power, and Responsibility
- Pursuing Wellness
- Developing a Future, Today
- Continuing Your Journey
- Sexual Health and Consent
For more questions, contact the PSI coordinator, Charlie Ahlquist: PSI@lclark.edu