Goals

Short-term:

Kate Stratton: Get to know my exec team and make relationships with the faculty that I will be working with. Specifically Isabel (advisor). Also, read through bylaws and start seeing what needs changing. Still need to find a person who can make curriculum and course proposal meetings in the next week.

Sam Como:

  • Get 1/2 of students to vote in the Senate election
  • Get students engaged with the Senate election.

Madeleine MacWilliamson: I plan to organize a Cabinet retreat for ASB Cabinet members to bond and grow community. I will continue to remain in contact with administration about on-campus concerns. I hope to recruit more ASB committee members, Senators, and other ASB affiliates!

Julia Einaudi: Meet with LC staff to discuss Covid on campus and brainstorm possible solutions to issues such as the lack of isolation housing.

Josie Stenzel: Meet with Tamara & Rocky about wording for honorariums, reading through and note areas of the FIN bylaws we would like to change. Also attend All Org Meeting and launch new & improved appeals process. Adding the finance tracker to the appeals process.

Sophia Fileto-Villanueva: Establish Senate and work on committee assignments, especially those that require a designated senator to begin work (ie. FIN, SRC, SPAC’s associate justice confirmations, etc.)

Sam Flores: I’ll start working with OEI to improve BART. I’ll also plan our first mixer and tabling session.

Alex Chapelle: Train Senators on our respective committees.

Lila Khammash: Hire and train new notetaker.

Noe Rodriguez: Establish FC, begin approving applications, begin changing bylaws with the cabinet

Flavio de Pina: Helping international students, especially freshmen, navigate U.S. bureaucratic life, banking, making friends and feeling included!

Ezra Hart: Within the next two weeks you can expect to see and become more familiar with CAB’s regular programming and also get excited for the many collaborations we have planned. The near future includes a new Speed Friending event to meet and make new friends and a relaxing Art Night! We always have a goal to put on fun and safe events that help promote an inclusive and welcoming community on campus!

Anna Kuronen: Finish and post “meet your senate” and “meet your cabinet” , start winter wishes planning

Mari Sheppard: Getting people to actually join the committee and starting our meeting schedule

Elizabeth Young: Get 2 more people to join SRC by Tuesday of next week, by the Tuesday of the week after next have finished DR 3 and DR 1.

Mid-term:

Kate Stratton: Edit the bylaws and get them approved, have a good relationship with all execs, get a lot of volunteer interest in helping with FOSA and other things, put on an event with Career Center or Alumni association, provide more resources to students about what SAAB is and how they can get involved. I was also thinking about hosting a student forum for academic concerns?

Sam Como:

  • Get students more involved in ASB.
  • Have students better understand why ASB election are important.

Madeleine MacWilliamson: I plan that by the end of the semester, I will collaborate with my VP to efficiently use the Senate space by hosting several town halls with various themes such as: admissions and financing, structural safety, and life on-campus. I will formalize the ISLC representative and Health & Wellness committee roles in the Constitution with help by a Senator. Mid-November, ASB will convene with several other Oregon undergraduate student governments and exchange ideas. I will guide my cabinet to execute their constitutional obligations in a timely manner. Before the fall term ends, ASB will release an honorarium guideline, improve the Discretionary Fund application process, and begin community service projects to better our campus.

Julia Einaudi: Make information about reporting assault/harassment/violence more available to streamline the processes (i.e. which office to report to for specific instances), and better advertise mental health resources for students undergoing interpersonal violence.

Josie Stenzel: Wording for honorarium official rules, help the orgs we told to appeal to appeal, honestly start prepping for allocations weekend

Sophia Fileto-Villanueva: Help committees organize their bylaw updates and send those out to senators to be completed as soon as possible

Sam Flores: The sections marked with * next to them are semester goals. Everything else is by the end of the academic year.

Alex Chapelle: Work more closely with SRR and potentially help create a code of conduct review committee

Lila Khammash:

  • Work alongside ASB to amplify the voices of international students and minority groups on campus by maintaining connections with ISS & IME
  • Make myself available to all students through email or in-person conversation. (This contributes to further bridging the gap between ASB and the student body by allowing students to share any information or concerns.)
  • Providing ASB with more data about the student body and its needs and demands
  • Achieved by sending out bi-monthly surveys to the student body about different issues that ASB can provide support with. (This helps create a more effective student government that prioritizes student well-being over all else.)

Noe Rodriguez: Have a strong document for honorarium language and the honorarium process. Meet with affinity group about Allocations

Flavio de Pina: Helping find a permanent solution to the Winter Break Housing costs. Many international students cannot go home over Winter Break and some of those come from poor financial backgrounds, and hence we mean to help them out by either abolishing this cost or subsidizing it.

Ezra Hart: We have many collaborations and large events that we have been working on for this semester since spring of last year! Like CAB x IME Heritage Month Kick-Off Fair on Sept. 17th and the Dr. Robin Sullivan-Holmes’ Inauguration Student Party on Oct. 22nd! In addition to putting on the many regular programming and collaboration events planned for this semester, we hope to make our collaboration opportunities more accessible and just in general work more actively work with student organizations to build the inclusive community we want at LC.

Anna Kuronen: Complete winter wishes and be completely prepared for passing out gifts/wishes

Mari Sheppard: Actually get established as a real committee, have a solid set of people in it, do events with health services and promotion

Elizabeth Young: Have had successfully appealed.

Long-term:

Kate Stratton: I guess these are the same as the semester goals and I will continue to make new goals throughout the year. But, make sure FOSA runs smoothly.

Sam Como:

  • Get 2/3 of students to vote in at least one ASB election.
  • Have at least one election with a 66% turnout.

 

Madeleine MacWilliamson: At the Board of Trustees meeting, I will recommend that Lewis & Clark ought to fundraise for a new endowed scholarship specifically for indigenous undergraduate students. I plan on continuing conversations surrounding the name-change via a town hall forum, inviting faculty, administrators, and students to participate in open dialogue. By the end of the year, I would like to have conducted an auditory investigation into the ASB grants offered so we can restructure our program to better give funding to students. I would like to collaborate with College Outdoors to host a specific first-timer camping trip to foster inclusivity in the outdoors. I would like to introduce programming to help integrate transfer students into our community. I plan on working alongside Parking & Transportation to improve parking on-campus as well as the PioExpress. I hope to better publicize the college’s opportunities in student life, academics, and more. Finally, I would like to be flexible to the student body’s will and desires by tackling any task brought to ASB, whether that be by word of mouth, an email sent to me, or an informal Instagram DM: I want to bring what the student body wants to life.

Julia Einaudi: Establish support groups as an added mental health resource, reach out to affinity groups for targeted support.

Josie Stenzel: Start Allocations earlier than last year, make the bylaws better / more applicable, better and more clear wording regarding both appeals and allocations.

Sophia Fileto-Villanueva: Facilitate more senate town hall meetings, specifically surrounding the student body’s concerns regarding building safety and the lack of designated student spaces on campus.

Sam Flores:

  • Change within the system is meant to sustain and support the communities enacting change outside the system.

Equitable and Justice-Driven Theory

  • Our work is doomed to be incomplete and void of progress without the cooperation of those changing the system from outside it. For our purposes, the ‘line between’ is that which divides the student government, who has a responsibility to maintain a relationship with administration, and the student body, whose top concern ought to be unity. Truly promoting equity necessitates a belief we’ve inherited a system designed to oppress some groups in pursuit of the prosperity of others. All of EIJC’s work, then, must be done against the backdrop of a system which will never work. One perspective is that our work, conducted from the inside, is meaningless and futile. On the contrary, our work is meant to sustain the populations who have the first-hand experience and knowledge to create change from outside the system. EIJC is justice driven only to the extent that we are committed to breaking down the very systems within which we work and rebuild them in the vision of the communities the system currently oppresses.

Practice

  • Equity Audits. One of EIJC’s core functions is to conduct equity audits of the various policies that guide administration at this college. In those conversations, it is a given that EIJC approaches these audits with a critical framework - that is, we acknowledge that our institution was built off of oppressive ideas and it is not enough to simply not be oppressive - we must be anti-oppressive. That is what it means to just. The product of inclusively designed justice work is policy which more equitably accounts for the experiences of oppressed groups. Yet, this is not enough.
  • Support Student Movements. In particular, we aim to support movements which further bond the entirety of the college community so that it becomes a cultural norm for students to unite on issues which are actively causing harm to our community. Support means offering our time, knowledge, and resources to sustain and grow these movements. I’ve noticed a growing ability of students of this institution to organize. As we move forward, the mobilization of this community becomes more of a reality. The moment that we’re in as of late requires us to cultivate a sense of empathy across the entirety of the college community - to support bold action when circumstances dictate and thoughtful reflection in preparation for action. We need to encourage a sense of unity that allows students to ask where they belong in the collective as an individual; to be consistently asking how they can cultivate a culture of care and compassion that is proactive, not reactive, to injustice.
  • Removing Racist Monuments. EIJC will work with student groups on campus to remove “Lewis & Clark College” from our organizations’ branding. EIJC works towards changing the name of our institution by first exercising power where we have it. In terms of changing the name of the college, we will move at the discretion of native communities.
  • Review of Member Application. We also need to be cognizant as to the voices we are allowing into our committee. Our member application will be under continual review as I learn as an individual and as I receive feedback from applicants. I will also rely on the knowledge, experiences, and intuition of my committee to guide that application review process. In terms of accepting members, our committee will review these applications together and vote on the acceptance of these applicants based on a qualitative review of characteristics we look for in all applicants.
  • Redistribution of Wealth. EIJC will continue to run our grant program which is meant to support student initiatives and those in emergency situations. In the past, we’ve supported events that highlight BIPOC artists, funded plane tickets and various technology needs, application fees, and offered supplemental funds to unions. Our grant program is a versatile way we can rearrange the inherent inequities of college.
  • Equity in Mental Health. Last year, EIJC began work with the counseling services on the premise that they were disproportionately unable to provide mental health services to students of color on campus. John Hancock, the previous Dean of health promotion & wellness, applied and was accepted to the Steve Fund which is an organization that helps to holistically audit the mental health services at colleges. I will be acting as a student representative on the committee that is charged with answering key questions concerning the equitability of the mental health services on campus.

Written in between the lines of attending this college is the opportunity for students to learn what it means to truly be part of a community, to build the muscle memory to care for your community wherever that may be after our time here.

Community- Based & Effective Theory

EIJC cannot be effective without first being community-based. Our entire reason for existing is to ensure the just treatment of our community. Every council member of EIJC is able to contribute in meaningful ways which stem from their personal experiences. We, however, don’t have the full picture. It is an unfortunate limitation of being human that we will never fully understand each other or ourselves. Nonetheless, we are hopeless in solving the issues that face particular communities without the direct input of those communities. First, we consult our community to orient ourselves to the work we will commit ourselves to. Next, we develop solutions that are an enactment of our community’s vision, placing as little work upon them as possible; because at the end of the day, it is not their responsibility to fix this system; it’s ours.

Practice

  • Tabling. We will conduct tabling sessions that will give students the opportunity to communicate the issues they care about to us. EIJC’s mission is to approach these systems with a critical lens, take them apart and remake them. Moving with the idea that these systems should be reconstructed by all stakeholders, it becomes increasingly important for us to be in close contact with students on campus. We aim to motivate our justice work with the intuition, knowledge, and first-hand experience of minorities on campus.
  • Social media. We’ll also post instagram polls and other information gathering media to gain more intuition into how the community is responding to the current semester. We will use instagram to encourage students to ask themselves questions concerning equity, inclusion, and justice. The more these topics make it into the minds of students, the more ready we will all be when we need to move as one. Additionally, we will print this media to be hosted in physical space. We’ll also commission artists to create art that will contribute to this mission publicly.
  • Solidarity. EIJC will hold its biannual mixer to bring together students of marginalized backgrounds who we believe to hold similar values. We will also work to sustain United Front, which coalesces the student unions on campus into one union. The original vision of United Front was to hold bi-weekly dinners where minority student leaders could come together and build community, develop plans, and inform how EIJC can be more in tune with the community’s needs. This semester, we will make that a reality.
  • Relationships. We also recognize that we are not the only group on campus doing this work. EIJC will support and work with various student organizations and administrators to pursue our vision of a more equitable and just campus. In particular, we will be working to further improve the bias assessment and response team that the college uses for reporting of bias related incidents. I will also maintain a working relationship with academic administration to improve the inclusivity of classroom spaces.

Transparent Theory

I can’t imagine EIJC functioning at all without being in close communication with the student body. Transparency is the willingness to answer questions. Some of the work that EIJC does is meant to be done in private, but there’s no work that we do that can’t in some capacity be released to the student body. Let me put it like this - our meetings require individuals to maintain a safe space - in this way, EIJC is exclusive, yet, all that we do is in the spirit of making the college more inclusive. This work can’t be done without our community’s evaluation of and contribution to it.

Practice

  • Monthly Summaries. Every week I report to cabinet on where EIJC is with respect to these goals. Each month, I will bring together these reports to make that work available to the student body. In addition to a general reporting of what we’ve been doing, these monthly summaries will include how much money we have left in our grant program. I will make this information available digitally and physically.

Publishing of Committee Processes. We will publish documents which outline the qualities we look for in member and grant applicants. In addition, we will publish the philosophy we use to review applicants who are applying for emergency funding.”

Alex Chapelle: Smooth out Committee bylaws

Lila Khammash:

  • Maintain transparency and improve accountability within cabinet
  • Achieved by ensuring documents and information are regularly submitted to designated folders by members of cabinet, unless confidential.
  • Work closely with notetaker to ensure senate minutes are posted for the LC community to view in a timely manner.

Noe Rodriguez: Have strong planning documents for allocations the next year. I want to have already implemented some spending for the rollover fund. I want to have created a plan for spending the rest of the rollover fund. Established documents and bylaws through senate for honorariums (not just language), allocations, and finance committee.

Flavio de Pina: Same as #2 but also Further the cross-culturalization of international students with our domestic counterparts.

Ezra Hart: One big goal I had going into this semester was to successfully put on the CAB x IME Hispanic Heritage Month Kick-Off Fair and through the teamwork between IME, the Hispanic Heritage Month Planning Committee, and CAB we have successfully done so! The process behind this success will definitely be a guide and reference point for how we can put on larger events like this one in the future! This year we will strive to work and collaborate with many student organizations, departments, offices, and organizations off campus to put together consistent programming for students that give them an opportunity to relax, socialize, have fun, and build community.

Anna Kuronen: Have a successful winter wishes. Work with health and wellness to host a really good spring event

Mari Sheppard: Maintain a working relationship with the health related faculty departments, create some sort of program in collaboration with other orgs and departments for our main focuses this year (sexual wellness, mental health, survivor support, covid policies)

Elizabeth Young: Have produced another ASB SRC Coordinator who know what they need to know!!