Student Life Strategic Direction
The Lewis & Clark College Student Life Strategic Direction
This document provides the framework for our success as outstanding student affairs practitioners. We embrace with passion our work within the liberal arts tradition, and we fully support the vision, purpose, core values, aspirations, goals and objectives of our educational endeavors at Lewis & Clark College.
Creating a collaborative, transformative and holistic student life experience that both nurtures and challenges our students.
The Division of Student Life empowers students to enhance our world. We collaborate with students to develop opportunities for them to discover their interests, pursue their passions, and embark on a journey of growth and development. We work collectively to create environments where students are critical and creative thinkers, collaborators, and global citizens. We engage
collaboratively to create community and belonging. We emphasize holistic experiences that synergize learning in and out of the classroom, on and off-campus, and across the globe. We prepare students for meaningful careers and purposeful lives through civic engagement and lifelong learning. Through all of these experiences and interactions our students more fully learn about and understand themselves and the value that each person brings to our community and to the world beyond Lewis & Clark.
- Collaboration, creativity, and critical thinking - We approach problems through critical analysis and develop evidence-based solutions utilizing nuance and collaboration.
A caring, supportive and enduring community of belonging - We prioritize
relationship building that enhances personal and communal well-being and connections.
- Global perspectives - We value understanding our impact on others and the ability to appreciate the differences and similarities of various cultures here and around the world.
Sustainability and wellness - We prize our resources: human, financial, and
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion - We take ownership for addressing and advocating for issues directly impacting marginalized communities and efforts of creating a more just world.
Curiosity, adventure, innovation, and leadership - We emphasize avenues of
exploration and learning that enhance creativity, provide opportunities for growth, and build leaders.
Passion, engagement and fun - We treasure the joy of continually learning and
improving in community with one another.
- Inspire passion, innovation, and a commitment to co-create our future;
- Create campus environments that prioritize diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Provide robust co-curricular educational experiences through internships, and service activities with professional, nonprofit, public, and business organizations in Portland and beyond;
- Provide a diverse selection of intellectual, athletic, cultural, spiritual, and social activities that support the needs of our community;
- Facilitate interactions and collaboration among staff, faculty, and students to bring us together as a vibrant community of belonging;
- Offer opportunities to students to develop the skills needed to support themselves and their communities as they embark on careers, service, education, and other opportunities after graduation;
- Create and facilitate co-curricular programs that connect students and foster a rigorous and supportive academic community;
- Promote enhanced student health and wellness through intentional programs and safe, and healthy living environments;
- Generate and champion a spirit of curiosity and adventure linked to our location in the Pacific Northwest;
- Provide international experiences that prepare students to be active, responsible, and confident global citizens;
- Foster civility, respect, accountability, and human dignity.
Goals & Objectives
To achieve our purpose and aspirations, we will:
- Collaborate across the institution to attract, enroll, and graduate global citizens.
- Our programs and services will be data-driven, mission-oriented, and will support the persistence of College of Arts and Sciences students to achieve four-and six-year graduation rates of 75 and 85 percent.
- Implement the Campus Engagement Programming Plan to enhance athletic, career counseling, recreational, residential, social, and wellness programs to maximize student success.
- Implement a Healthy Campus Initiative to improve the overall wellness of our campus in the areas of mental, physical, and spiritual health.
- Strengthen, differentiate, and promote co-curricular learning through implementation of a Student Life Co-Curriculum.
- Implement a technological solution that promotes student engagement with one another, affinity organizations, and provides feedback and tracking for holistic co-curricular development.
- Emphasize connection to and visibility in Portland, including through volunteer, clinical, internship, and civic engagement opportunities.
- Prioritize the development and maintenance of the campus infrastructure and facilities appropriate for a selective, nationally-competitive college.
- Extend the useful life of existing buildings and community spaces.
- Build and renovate student housing.
- Renovate Templeton Campus Center into a true student union.
- Renovate athletic and recreational facilities.
- Strengthen our individual and collective commitments to diversity, equity, and
inclusion. All departments and individuals within the Division of Student Life are responsible for centering these in their work.
- Enhance pathways to recruit and retain a diverse community with specific focus on members from historically underrepresented groups.
- Recognize, celebrate, and support all facets of each individual identity.
- Provide opportunities for all members of our community to engage in reflective inquiry and to grow in the areas of inclusivity, respect, cultural curiosity, and cultural humility.
- Develop external partnerships that support diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Prepare students to engage in difficult conversations regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion at Lewis & Clark and beyond.
- Recognize and reward staff through the Student Life Recognition and Professional Development Program.
- Prioritize competitive compensation.
- Provide on-going and robust professional development and advancement opportunities.
- Promote staff accomplishments and expertise.
- Participate in fiscally responsible and generative projects that help us to realize untapped potential.
- Collaborate with institutional partners to support fundraising efforts for the L&C Comprehensive Campaign.
- Assist in efforts to increase the number of endowed Student Life positions.
- Increase alumni engagement in Student Life activities, including in student mentoring and philanthropy.
- Develop new revenue-generating program, specific to the student experience, to meet prospective student and societal needs.
January 29, 2020 Student Life Division Meeting
Strategic Direction Breakout Session
Please work together first on a description/list of:
a) How we already embody and express our core values then
b) What could we do to more fully embody and express our core values
Please work together second on a description/list of:
c) How we might go about achieving one or more of our aspirations