Fire Safety Policy

The presence of flammable materials and open flames poses a significant danger to the Lewis & Clark community.  As such, the College establishes this policy to limit the risk of fire and to prevent damage to personal and College property. Possession or use of the following items is strictly prohibited in the residence halls, in College buildings, and on College property unless specifically approved by College officials: 

  • Candles, incense sticks, combustible sage, potpourri burners, or oil burners
  • Lit coals, open flame, or embers
  • Flammable materials (e.g. gasoline, charcoal, lighter fluid, propane, butane, white gas)
  • Torches (e.g. butane torches, welding torches, torch lighters)
  • Corrosives such as acids and bases, or other chemicals that could cause harm
  • Fireworks or other explosive materials

Prohibited items are subject to confiscation and destruction.

Ignition of fire in an unauthorized location or an unauthorized manner is prohibited. This includes outdoor fire pits and open fireplaces in College buildings. Use of fire pits or open residential fireplaces requires advance permission in coordination with Campus Living and Campus Safety.

The ignition of a fire that causes property damage or that could be reasonably expected to cause property damage is prohibited. Aiding another in such acts is prohibited.

Persons who seek to light candles or smudge for religious or spiritual ceremonies must make advanced arrangements with the Office of Spiritual Life and are expected to take reasonable steps to limit associated fire risks.

Updated on: August 28, 2019