The John S. Rogers Science Research Program supports student-faculty collaborative research in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematical Sciences, Geological Science, Physics, and Psychology. The Rogers Program is open exclusively to Lewis & Clark students. Graduating seniors are eligible to apply, but preference will be given to continuing students.
Students are selected for internships based on the following factors:
- their background of courses and experience
- their GPA and other evidence of accomplishments
- recommendations from faculty and past employers
The selection process is competitive; approximately 35% of applicants are awarded internships. Based on the merits of your application, you may be contacted by individual faculty for an interview.
Internships typically begin in mid to late May and end 10 weeks later. Students selected for internships are paid $12.50 per hour. Unless a student’s agreement with a faculty mentor states otherwise, students conducting summer research are expected to work 37.5 hours per week for ten weeks. A student working this full-time schedule for ten weeks will receive a total compensation of $4,687.50. Most students rent a house or apartment with friends/co-workers. On-campus summer housing is also an option, although the Rogers Program does not coordinate or pay for student housing.
How to Apply
Applications will be available in mid-February, when faculty projects are posted.
- Download Common Application (Part 1): application.doc
- Complete the application, and email it to Amy Timmins at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note: the application requests an unofficial copy of your academic transcript. Unofficial transcripts can be obtained from WebAdvisor.
- On the application, you will be asked to list and rank up to four projects that interest you. Project Descriptions are updated in mid February.
- Complete the online application through Workday. Choose the application category that applies to you:
Rogers Program Applicants - Continuing Students
Rogers Program Applicants - Graduating Students
- Apply Internally - you have worked on campus at some point, and you can log into Workday.
- Apply Externally - you have not worked on campus before, and you cannot log into Workday.
2019 Schedule for Applications
|March 1||Student applications due.|
Faculty interview select students.
|March 22||Students notified if they have been selected or not.|
|April 1||Students decide whether to accept offered positions.|