What to pack to be comfortable and prepared to enjoy the week!
Casual dress like pants/t-shirts will be fine for most of Xplore’s activities. You will have some lunches with professors, but they will be dressed casually as well. While packing, keep in mind that you might: play outdoor games like frisbee or volleyball; hike; swim in a pool or lake; meet in rooms that might or might not be air-conditioned; visit downtown Portland.
It will likely be dry and quite warm in Portland during the program, but the weather can change quickly. Be prepared for rain, wind, heat, cold, and sun. On our weekend adventure, temperatures during our hikes and in the evenings will be cooler, and you’ll have a chance to visit a lava tube, where the temperature is a chilly 42 degrees!
During our weekend overnight, you will be sharing a room with 3-4 other students, so plan to bring sleepwear that is appropriate for a mixed-sex group without a lot of privacy!
Additionally, to encourage participants to engage with one another during the program, we will ask participants to put away their cell phones, personal computers, and electronic music devices during all group activities. You will be able to use these items each day at certain predetermined times. Please let family members and friends know that in case of an emergency, they can get a message to you by calling one of your trip leaders (numbers will be provided); each of them will carry a phone.
Every participant will need these items. Don’t have something? No problem! Just email us now (email@example.com) and let us know what you need us to provide. If clothing, please give your shirt size.
- SLEEPING BAG - for our lodge weekend. A lightweight bag is fine; you’ll be indoors.
- RAIN JACKET
- VISOR OR BASEBALL HAT - to keep the sun out of your eyes.
- DAYPACK (like you carry your books in) to carry rain jacket, lunch, water, etc.
- SUNGLASSES with ultraviolet (UV) protection. This is for your own safety! On a bright summer day you can burn your eyes as well as the rest of your skin.
- WATER BOTTLE
ESSENTIAL PERSONAL ITEMS
- WARM-WEATHER, CASUAL CLOTHES—several changes. Expect the weather to be hot and dry. Shorts, jeans, and t-shirts are ideal.
- STURDY, COMFORTABLE CLOSED-TOE SHOES— for hiking and outdoor activities. Athletic shoes are fine; sandals are not sturdy enough for hikes, though they are fine for other activities.
- SLEEPWEAR - Remember, you will be sharing a room with 3-4 other students on our weekend overnight.
- A WARM SWEATER, HOODIE, OR FLEECE JACKET
- SWIMSUIT - Lewis & Clark has an outdoor pool, and there is a swimming beach near our overnight lodge.
- BATH or BEACH TOWEL
PILLOW and PILLOWCASE
- PERSONAL TOILETRIES—soap, shampoo, contact lens supplies, toothbrush, toothpaste, menstrual products, etc.
- SUNSCREEN—SPF 15 or higher is recommended.
- SPENDING MONEY— in case you want to buy anything during the program (all your meals will be covered).
- PROOF OF MEDICAL INSURANCE CARD—If you do not have insurance through Lewis & Clark College, then it is extremely important to bring your medical insurance card. Don’t leave home without it.
- PROOF OF VACCINATION CARD
- PERSONAL MEDICATIONS. Please bring double the amount you need. Inform a program leader what you are taking and give him/her the backup supply in case yours is lost.
OPTIONAL PERSONAL ITEMS
These items are not necessary, but might make you happier or more comfortable.
- LIGHTWEIGHT HIKING BOOTS
- PERSONAL FIRST AID KIT (if you have your own). We have a group kit, but a personal supply of Band-Aids and other basic first aid items would be useful. Also, we can’t provide any medication such as aspirin or ibuprofen, so bring your own.
- CAMERA You will not have access to your cell-phone camera. Bring a dedicated camera if you like to take your own photos; also, a shared camera will be available during the program.
- CHAPSTICK with SPF 15 sunscreen.
- EXTRA EYEGLASSES or CONTACT LENSES, and SOLUTION
- GAMES—cards, board games or other diversions. (We will provide some as well.)
- MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS—do you play a guitar, uke or kazoo? Please bring it!
- EARPLUGS—nice if you are a light sleeper.
SHOWER SHOES/BEACH SHOES