Xplore New Student Program
This FREE program takes place a few days before New Student Orientation (NSO) and is designed for first-generation students interested in science, math, and health sciences. By participating in this program, students will gain tools to succeed in science and math courses at Lewis & Clark. Students will take part in lab activities, critical thinking tasks, scavenger hunts on and off campus, meeting with current students and faculty, and much more! Applications for Xplore 2018 are no longer being accepted.
What is the purpose of Xplore?
Xplore is designed to show students what taking classes in science or math at Lewis & Clark will be like and to provide tools for success during their time in college and beyond. Entering college can be an uncertain time involving many academic and social transitions. Xplore aims to ease these transitions by providing an opportunity for students with similar interests to come together to build a social and academic community before classes begin.
By the end of the program, students should feel empowered and prepared with the necessary equipment to take on science and math classes as a college student, but not just any college student, the first in the family! Plus, the usual excitement and uncertainty associated with arriving at a new place is much easier to manage after spending some time with a group of new students who may become your best friends!
No Prerequisites! All you need is an interest in STEM and a passion for learning. All skills/backgrounds are welcome. Come have fun exploring with us!
What will students do during the program?
- Participate in lab and field activities and collaborative problem solving
- Investigate campus resources and successful study strategies
- Get advice about choosing classes and planning your 4 years at L&C
- Learn about creating successful relationships with college faculty
- Meet science/math faculty
- Meet other students who share your interests
- Explore downtown Portland
- Hike in a local natural area
- Discuss career opportunities and preparation
- And more!
What will students get from the program?
- A jump-start to a successful science/math/health science career
- Knowledge of academic and student life resources
- A network of friends and science peers
- Familiarity with the Lewis & Clark campus
- A chance to exercise problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Practice working with peers in a group setting
Still have questions?
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions.
Program costs and cancellation policy:
Xplore is free for first-generation students. During the program, student housing and food costs will be covered by the College. However, space in the program is limited. Once you are accepted to the program and complete the required trip questionnaires, you have made a commitment to participate. Any student who registers but who opts not take part in the program will be charged a $25 fee.