Resources for Faculty & Staff
Lewis and Clark faculty have been leading Overseas and Off-Campus programs since 1962! Here is a list of leaders by semester:
And here is a list by program location:
If you want to compare programs side-by-side, this chart lists them all:
Overseas & Off-Campus Programs Committee (OOPC)
As a subcommittee of the Curriculum Committee, the OOPC is charged with supervising the development and implementation of various aspects of overseas and off-campus study, including:
- Reviewing proposals to create new programs; advising on program development; making recommendations to the Curriculum Committee regarding approval.
- Reviewing program leader applications and selection of program leaders.
- Advising on the scope and extent of Overseas and Off-Campus program offerings
Leader Application Policies and Procedures
The call for applications to lead programs is typically made in the spring semester, with applications due in early October of the following academic year. In general, applications will be invited 2-3 years in advance of the scheduled program.
The Overseas and Off-Campus Programs Committee is charged with reviewing applications and selecting program leaders.
The following criteria and considerations are taken into account when reviewing program leader applications:
• Qualifications, interests and goals of the applicant as expressed in the application
• Priority is given to faculty, with preference for those with tenure
• Consideration is given to applicants involved in the establishment and ongoing development of overseas and off-campus programs for which they are applying
• Consideration of student experience and strategic needs across the full range of program offerings
Current list of committee members
- Bruce Podobnik: Chair
- Isabelle DeMarte: CC representative
- Michael Broide
- Emma Celebrezze: Student representative
- Robin Jarecki (Ex-officio)
- John Krussel (Ex-officio)
- Blythe Knott (Ex-officio)
- Nicole Schneider (Ex-officio)
- Xi Zhong (Ex-officio)
Overseas & Off-Campus Program Leaders
2021/2022 Academic Year:
Applications to lead the following programs are due by 4pm on Friday, October 4, 2019:
- Fall 2021: India
- Spring 2022: Australia
- Spring 2022: London: Fine Arts - you must be a member of the arts faculty to apply
- Spring 2022: Morocco - please include a statement on a four-class module you would teach for the “Moroccan Modernity” course.
Please have your department chair sign your application, and then bring the hard copy to the Dean’s office for their signature (you can leave your application at the front desk). The Dean’s office will then deliver signed applications to Blythe Knott, to distribute to the OOPC committee.
If you have any questions about the programs and/or the responsibilities of the Faculty Leader for each program, contact Blythe Knott at x7296, or at email@example.com. If you have questions about the application process, contact Blythe Knott or OOPC chair Isabelle DeMarte (at x7426 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Quick Facts: Faculty-led Programs
|Country||Semester||Is there a specific academic focus?||
Is there a language require- ment?
|Will I be teaching a course?||
Will I be grading assign- ments/ assisting with independent projects?
Should I have a love for the outdoors?
|Will I be living in multiple locations?|
Regional Area Study
|Australia||Spring/Every 3 years||Biology||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Spring||Regional Area Study w/ Language||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No|
Regional Area Study
|East Africa||Fall/Every 3 years||
Regional Area Study w/ Language
|Greece||Fall||Classical/ Religious Studies||No||Possibly||Yes||No||Yes|
|India||Fall||Regional Area Study||No||Possibly||Yes||No||Yes|
|Italy||Spring||Regional Area Study||Yes||No||Yes||No||No|
|Morocco||Spring||Regional Area Study||Yes||Possibly||Yes||No||Yes|
|New York City||Fall||Regional Area Study/ Internship||No||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|New Zealand||Spring||Regional Area Study||No||Possibly||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Spain: Seville||Spring||Regional Area Study w/ Language||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|SE Asia||Fall||Regional Area Study||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Fall||Regional Area Study/ Internship||No||Yes||Yes||No||No|