Resources for Faculty & Advisors
Lewis and Clark faculty have been leading Overseas and Off-Campus programs since 1962! Here is a list of leaders by semester:
And here is a list by program location:
If you want to compare programs side-by-side, this chart lists them all:
Overseas & Off-Campus Programs Committee (OOPC)
As a subcommittee of the Curriculum Committee, the OOPC is charged with supervising the development and implementation of various aspects of overseas and off-campus study, including:
- Reviewing proposals to create new programs; advising on program development; making recommendations to the Curriculum Committee regarding approval.
- Reviewing program leader applications and selection of program leaders.
- Advising on the scope and extent of Overseas and Off-Campus program offerings
Leader Application Policies and Procedures
The call for applications to lead programs is typically made in the spring semester, with applications due in October 2 of the following academic year. In general, applications will be invited 2-3 years in advance of the scheduled program.
The Overseas and Off-Campus Programs Committee is charged with reviewing applications and selecting program leaders.
The following criteria and considerations are taken into account when reviewing program leader applications:
• Qualifications, interests and goals of the applicant as expressed in the application
• Priority is given to faculty, with preference for those with tenure
• Consideration is given to applicants involved in the establishment and ongoing development of overseas and off-campus programs for which they are applying
• Consideration of student experience and strategic needs across the full range of program offerings
Current list of committee members
- Katharina Altpeter-Jones
- Ken Clifton
- Isabelle DeMarte (chair)
- Robin Jarecki (ex-officio)
- Blythe Knott (ex-officio)
- John Krussel (ex-officio)
- Bruce Podobnik
- Nicole Schneider (ex-officio)
Jackson Tejeda (student representative)
- Katherine Shallenberger (ex-officio)
Overseas & Off-Campus Program Leaders
If you have any questions about the programs and/or the responsibilities of the Faculty Leader for each program, contact Blythe Knott at x7296, or at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions about the application process, contact Blythe Knott or OOPC chair Isabelle DeMarte (at x7426 or email@example.com).
Quick Facts: Faculty-led Programs
|Country||Semester||Is there a specific academic focus?||
Is there a language require- ment?
|Will I be teaching a course?||
Will I be grading assign- ments/ assisting with independent projects?
Should I have a love for the outdoors?
|Will I be living in multiple locations?|
Regional Area Study
|Australia||Spring/Every 3 years||Biology||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Spring||Regional Area Study w/ Language||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No|
Regional Area Study
|East Africa||Fall/Every 3 years||
Regional Area Study w/ Language
|Greece||Fall||Classical/ Religious Studies||No||Possibly||Yes||No||Yes|
|India||Fall||Regional Area Study||No||Possibly||Yes||No||Yes|
|Italy||Spring||Regional Area Study||Yes||No||Yes||No||No|
|Morocco||Spring||Regional Area Study||Yes||Possibly||Yes||No||Yes|
|New York City||Fall||Regional Area Study/ Internship||No||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|New Zealand||Spring||Regional Area Study||No||Possibly||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Spain: Seville||Spring||Regional Area Study w/ Language||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|SE Asia||Fall||Regional Area Study||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Fall||Regional Area Study/ Internship||No||Yes||Yes||No||No|