Year of Study in Munich
Below you will find a detailed list of application steps. It is your responsibility to ensure that your application is submitted before the due date.
Students applying to the Year in Munich program have a different application and admissions process than the students applying to other Lewis & Clark overseas programs. Your application will be comprised of some items for the Lewis & Clark Overseas & Off-Campus Programs office, and some items which will be sent to the host university (LMU) in Germany for review. It’s important to understand that your ability to participate in the program is based on the admissions decision of the LMU. If you do not submit all of your application materials by the deadline, or if the LMU decides not to offer you admission to the program, you will be ineligible to participate. Please contact us in advance of the deadline if you have any questions about the application process or required materials.
Overseas Application Form
Information Needed to Complete Application
- Passport Information
- Parent/Guardian Information
- Emergency Contact Information
- Academic Information (student ID, GPA, major, language(s) studied)
- Digital passport Photo - These photos are used as identification photos in our database, and should follow the same standards as a 2x2 passport style photo. Please read through this article for guidance on taking a passport photo, and make sure that your photo meets these State Department requirements. You can download an app, such as Passport Photo Booth (iOs and Android), or you can use the ‘Square’ mode on your phone. The US Department of State also has a photo cropping tool to resize your photo to the correct dimensions. You will submit the passport photo by uploading it to the last page of your application.
❏ Two Academic References (only required for non-LC students)
After submitting your online application, please gather/complete the following materials and submit them to the Overseas & Off-Campus Programs office via email (email@example.com).
❏ Official E-Transcript with Fall 2022 Grades (Digital Copy)
- LC students can request their official transcript from the Registrar’s office by logging into WebAdvisor and clicking the ‘Order Official Transcripts’ link under the Academic Profile menu. Indicate on the form that the transcript should be sent to the Overseas email address. There is a $5 fee for requesting your official transcript.
- Please note that this can take up to two weeks to receive once it has been ordered. Plan accordingly!
- Non-LC students should follow the standard procedures for ordering Official Transcripts on their campuses, and then email them to the Overseas office. If your school does not have an E-Transcript option, please contact our office.
❏ Contract Form - Found in the Materials folder. Download and complete the form digitally and sign electronically.
❏ Munich Information Packet - Found in the Materials folder. Download and complete the form digitally.
❏ Physician’s Form - Found in the Materials folder. Print the form and have a physician fill it out during a doctor’s appointment. Take a scan or a photo fo the completed and signed document, and submit via email.
❏ Passport Scan - Make sure that your passport is valid through six months after your program end date, and that you have signed the “Signature of Bearer” line in pen. Then, scan it in color, and submit via email.
❏ CV - Submit a PDF of your CV. Please use the template provided in the materials folder.
❏ High School Transcript - The university in Munich requires a digital copy of your official high school transcript.
❏ High School Diploma - The university in Munich requires a digital copy of your high school diploma.
Sophomore Waiver (Rising sophomores only) - If you will be a sophomore during the program, the university in Munich requires a signed copy of the Sophomore Waiver. If you are going to be a sophomore during the program, please email the Overseas Office at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send the waiver to you.
Spring 2023 Official E-Transcript (Digital Copy) - After the Spring semester has ended and Spring grades have been released, you will need to request another digital Official Transcript.
All documents submitted electronically can be emailed to email@example.com.
Please note: Munich applicants will be required to submit a few additional materials during the Spring 2023 semester, including an online confirmation form, a $300 program deposit, and (non-LC students only) your social security number. More information will be provided to applicants in the Spring.
Do I need a passport to apply?
Technically, no. However, if you are accepted, we do ask for a scan of your passport 30 days after acceptance. Therefore, it’s a good idea to get started on the passport process right away. (If you already have a passport, note that the passport needs to be valid 6 months following the end of the program!)
Applying to more than one program
You can only apply to one program per semester. If you submit more than one application, the applications will not be processed. If you are not selected for your first choice program you will have the opportunity to transfer your application to a program that is still accepting applications.
**If you are interested in applying to two programs in consecutive semesters, please contact the Overseas & Off-Campus Programs office for information. Admission to programs in consecutive semesters is not guaranteed.**
If you are applying to a program administered by a provider or partner university, your application has a two-step process. If admitted to a program by Lewis & Clark, you will also need to submit an application to the program provider. Please save your essay responses so that you can re-use them for your provider application.
In order to participate in the interview process, your file must be complete (including receipt of references). Once the application deadline passes, all fully completed applicants will be added into a Google Classroom. Interview instructions will be posted in each program’s Google Classroom. Ensure that you accept the electronic invitation to Google Classroom as this will be the main forum for communication between your program leader(s)/coordinator(s). The interview will be conducted by the program leader, World Languages and Literature Department, and/or members of the Overseas & Off-Campus Programs staff.
The acceptance decision is determined by the program leader in close consultation with the Overseas & Off-Campus Programs Office. Notification of final decisions is sent through email prior to posting on the office bulletin board. Most programs accept an initial group of approximately 25 students.
Students who have not completed the CORE requirement cannot participate in a study abroad program. Please see the Undergraduate Catalog.