Travel Resources & Pre-Departure Handbooks
Travel Resources, Flight Information & Scholarships
This handbook will provide information on passports, visas, how to book your flight abroad, and more. Please read through the travel resource handbook carefully before finalizing any travel arrangements.
Identity, Culture, Transitions & Goal Setting
We encourage you to use the resources in this handbook (writing prompts, identity exercises, blogs, travel tips, etc.) to help prepare yourself for your overseas program.
Mental Health Abroad
My SSP App (Student Support Program)
Overseas & Off-Campus Program participants can access free counseling and support anywhere in the world by downloading the app or by phone. Students can connect 24/7 through mobile, web chat, telephone, or video with registered clinical counselors by:
- Downloading the free My SSP App
- Through the app, they can start an instant chat with a Student Support Advisor (no appointment needed) or browse useful articles and videos made specifically for them. Search ‘My SSP’ from either the Apple App Store or Google Play and download today.
- Here’s a video on how to download the My SSP App.
- Calling 1.866.743.7732 (If calling from outside North America, dial 001.416.380.6578)
- Immediate or scheduled sessions available with a Student Support Advisor in their preferred language and at no cost to the student. Ongoing support available via phone or video.
- Visiting us.myissp.com
Chat with an Advisor online or browse student-related resources, articles, videos and more.
- Chat with an Advisor online or browse student-related resources, articles, videos and more.
Sexual Assault Support & Help for Americans Abroad (SASHAA)
While the responsibility of ending sexual gender-based violence is on the perpetrators, this guide will offer general safety tips, country-specific information, and resources to help prevent and prepare travelers for the possibility of sexual assault abroad.
- Dominican Republic
- New Zealand
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
Student Identities & Study Abroad
Below is a list of websites with resources regarding identity and study abroad. If you have any questions about the resources below, or would like to speak with our office about your identity and traveling abroad, please contact Kaitlin Sommerfeld (firstname.lastname@example.org), Assistant Director of Overseas & Off-Campus Programs.
Racial & Ethnic Identities & Study Abroad
- Diversity Abroad
- IES Abroad
- Race & Ethnic Identity (Middlebury Institute)
Inclusion and Multicultural Engagement at Lewis & Clark College
LGBTQIA+ Identities & Study Abroad
- International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association
- Diversity Abroad
- Amnesty International Human Rights
- International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission
- NAFSA Rainbow SIG
- TSA Information for Transgender Passengers
Queer Student Resources at Lewis & Clark College
Religious & Spiritual Identity & Study Abroad
- US Department of State International Religious Freedom
- Religion & Spirituality (Middlebury Institute)
- Diversity Abroad
- Lewis & Clark College Spiritual Life
General Resources for International Travelers
Voting from Abroad
This site allows you to request an absentee ballot from abroad if your program coincides with an election.
The Responsible Traveler
This article highlights seven general tips for a successful travel experience.
Avoiding Jet Lag & Ten Guidelines for International Travel
This document offers strategies for avoiding jet lag during your travels and outlines general guidelines for international travel.
Minimizing Risks During Overseas Travel
Please read through this document and consider how you can minimize your exposure to risk during your overseas program.
Recommendations for First Aid Kit & Water Purification
This document offers suggestions about what to pack in a first aid kit when traveling abroad and outlines water purification methods.
The Prevention & Treatment of Travelers Diarrhea
This document provides information about travelers diarrhea, outlines steps you can take to prevent this illness, and describes what you should do if you get travelers diarrhea while you are abroad.
HIV Infection & International Travel
This document discusses ways to minimize the risk of HIV infection during your time abroad.
Rabies & Travel
This document provides information about rabies prevention tips and treatment.
This document highlights measures you should take to protect yourself from insects while you are overseas.
Preventing Malaria in Travelers
Please read through the travel resource if your program takes place in a location where malaria is a concern. Check the CDC website linked on your program page for more information.