- Understand the merits and limitations of conceptualizing the Middle East and North Africa as a region of study.
- Gain knowledge of the historical, cultural, political, and linguistic processes that have forged the region in its global contexts.
- Demonstrate mastery of intermediate Arabic language skills (or, in some cases, another regionally significant language).
- Appreciate how complementary and competing academic approaches to the Middle East and North Africa condition an interdisciplinary understanding of the region.
- Develop a foundation for continued study of the Middle East and North Africa and for applied work in the region.