The 2019 Workshop is full and we are no longer accepting applications.
Fir Acres Writing Workshop is open to rising 10th, 11th, and 12th graders, so we encourage students who will be in that range next year to look for applications in late 2019.
Prospective students should submit the following (items marked with * are required):
- An online application* form
- Statement of purpose* (300 words), explaining why you want to attend Fir Acres Writing Workshop, what the experience of living within a community of writers might teach you, and how you hope to develop as a writer and as a person
- Writing sample* in fiction, poetry, or creative nonfiction (no more than 5 pages)
- A high school transcript*, official or unofficial
- A letter of recommendation* from your high school teacher (see options in the How to Apply section below)
- Scholarship support form (if applicable)
The Director reviews applications to determine admission.
General Application Period is now open. Application deadline is March 8, 2019.
HOW TO APPLY
You can easily apply online. We have provided everything you need below, including teacher recommendation forms, statement of purpose form and, if applicable, the scholarship support form.
Please fill out the online application and upload your statement of purpose, creative writing sample (no more than 5 pages), a scan (or picture) of your high school transcript, and your teacher’s letter of recommendation. If you are applying for a scholarship, you can also upload the scholarship support form. You can download statement of purpose and teacher recommendation by clicking the links above. There is also a downloadable recommendation form if your teacher submits (mails) a confidential letter of recommendation.
FOR STUDENTS AND TEACHERS
There are two options for submitting a teacher letter of recommendation:
A confidential letter of recommendation to be mailed to our office by the school. Forms should be mailed to:
Fir Acres Writing Workshop
Lewis & Clark College
0615 SW Palatine Hill Rd., MSC 47
Portland, OR 97219
Fir Acres Writing Workshop expects most participants will pay the full fee for the workshop. However, we may be able to provide partial scholarships to students who demonstrate financial need. A limited number of partial scholarships are available.
The form should be uploaded with the online application.
BREAKDOWN OF COSTS
$500 Deposit (due 30 days after acceptance is received)
$600 Housing and facilities for one student
$520 Meal plan for one student
$1,580 Remaining tuition
Tuition to Fir Acres goes toward student housing, facilities, meal plan, and faculty, staff, and program administration.