CITI Training Instructions
Lewis & Clark College policy requires individuals involved in research to complete adequate training in the responsible conduct of research and scientific ethics. The College subscribes to online training modules through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI). Training courses on the Responsible Conduct of Research, Human Subjects Research, Animal Care and Use, and Conflict of Interest are available to all Lewis & Clark College faculty, staff, and students.
Please follow these step-by-step instructions to register as a new user and complete required online training modules. If you are a returning user who would like to add a course or update your learner group, please follow the Returning User instructions.
1. Create an account
- Click on the Register icon.
- Select Your Organization Affiliation: Type in Lewis and Clark College. Failure to affiliate with L&C will make it difficult to count your test score towards the compliance requirement.
- Check both boxes to agree to terms of service and affirm your affiliation with L&C.
- Complete the fields for the Personal Information section.
- Create a username and password and select a security question.
- Enter country of residence.
- Select “No” for Continuing Credits option and choose whether to participate in CITI surveys and receive marketing materials (both optional).
- Fill out information requested by Lewis & Clark College. You must submit responses to the required fields. Other fields are optional (i.e. gender, ethnicity, and race.)
2. Select Curriculum
You will be provided a series of enrollment questions. Your responses will determine the curriculum for the courses you are going to take. Please read the questions carefully.
Question 1: Human Subjects Research
- Select Social & Behavioral Research Investigators if you are working with human subjects. If you do not know, ask your faculty research mentor.
- If you are NOT working with human subjects, check “Not at this time.”
Question 2: Laboratory Animal Research
- If you are NOT working with vertebrate animals, you may SKIP this question.
- If you are working with animals in your research, you MUST select:
“Working with the IACUC Course”. This module is required if you will work with vertebrate animals (including zebrafish).
- You are NOT an IACUC member and should not complete “Essentials for IACUC Members.” Do not check this box.
- The last two boxes: Antibody production and “minimizing pain and distress” will depend on your research project. Please discuss with your faculty mentor if you do not know.
Choose the appropriate species depending on your work or interests.
- Select the animals that you will be working with.
- You do not need to complete any of the refresher courses listed.
Question 3: Responsible Conduct of Research
- Select the field that most aligns with the research project you will be working on.
Question 4: Refresher Courses
- Do NOT complete any refresher courses at this time. Refresher modules are specifically for users whose training certificate has expired. Certificates are valid for 4 years.
Question 5: Conflicts of Interest
- Unless your mentor asked you to complete the COI course, you do not need to complete it.
Questions 6: Institutional Signatory Official
- You are NOT an institutional signatory official. Please do not complete any of these modules.
3. Complete the online training
Proceed through the course modules. There is typically a short quiz (4-10 questions) at the end of each module. Please note:
- Lewis & Clark requires at least an 80% passing grade on each module.
- You may return to the module and re-take the quiz if necessary.
- You do not have to complete all of the modules at one time. Your quiz score(s) will be stored and you can return to complete the remaining modules at any time.
4. You’re done!
Your completion certificate will automatically be emailed to the Sponsored Research Office and your mentor will be notified. There is no need to forward your certificate.