School navigation


Student Granted Access & Recommendation Release Form


Your grades, program evaluation, test scores, participation in classes and other data are educational records protected by federal law.

If you are asking faculty or staff to provide recommendations, they will not be able to do so unless you sign a release form.  It does not matter if you do (or don’t) give them access to your records (see below).  A release form is necessary for any college official to release private information to an outside entity.

You can give a faculty or staff member permission to provide a recommendation by completing the “Release of Educational Information for Recommendations”. NOTE: This form is intended only to release information for recommendations.  To release records for other purposes, please see the Registrar’s Office.

  1. Fill out the form and name the faculty or staff member(s) who have authorization to write the letter of recommendation.
  2. Name the individual(s), organization(s) or institution(s) to whom you want the letter of recommendation to be sent.  Sign and date the form.
  3. Give the form to the faculty or staff member who will be completing the letter of recommendation.  


Your academic advisor and a limited number of administrators have access to your academic records such as grades, test scores or schedule, but other faculty and staff at the college are not able to see them.

Occasionally, students may want to share that information with other faculty or staff.  Reasons may include:

  • Recommendation letters - where seeing these records would assist the faculty member in providing a recommendation for a student
  • Applying for an overseas program
  • Other reasons for which you determine it would be helpful for another faculty or staff member to see your personal educational information.

You are under no obligation to grant access to an instructor or staff member who does not currently have access, even if he or she asks you to do so.  The information is yours, and remains private unless you elect to share it*.

Students have the ability to grant access to their educational records via WebAdvisor

  • You may grant access to any faculty or staff member at the college. 
  • The access lasts for 30 days, and then automatically expires. 
  • Access includes transcript, schedule and program evaluations. 
  1. From the student menu, choose the “Grant Access to My Academic Records” link, which can be found in the “Academic Profile” area.  (This page will also allow provide a link to the Release of Educational Information for Recommendations form.)
  2. Enter part (or all) of the name of the person to whom you wish to give access.
  3. Choose the person from the list if there is more than one person listed.
  4. Click the submit button.


* See Institutional Policies regarding the release of your educational records.