Internship or Practicum for Faculty
This page contains information for faculty regarding the Internship or Practicum process.
Practica and internships allow students to gain academic credit for field experiences. Faculty supervision ensures a rigorous academic component. The internship agreement acts in lieu of a syllabus for a regular course. It assists faculty and students in determining that activities are worthy of academic credit as well as setting goals for learning.
The activity has two components:
- an academic component supervised by the faculty sponsor
- the internship activity supervised by a site supervisor (which may or may not be the faculty sponsor)
- The student will consult with the faculty sponsor regarding an academic component to compliment the internship activities. The faculty sponsor should be in an academic department or program related to the type of internship being completed by the student.
To help students and faculty design the internship, there is a Worksheet for Internships document found below. Note that this is not the official agreement. It is a worksheet that helps the student and sponsoring faculty member discuss learning objectives and prepare the information necessary to complete the official Learning Agreement.
- The student will submit the Internship/Practicum Learning Agreement and will receive an automated response and a copy of the Learning Agreement when it is submitted. The student must forward that response to the sponsoring faculty member.
Using the response forwarded by the student, the faculty member will complete the Internship/Practicum Faculty Approval form.
Note that if the student is working at an organization (or in an LC office) where the student will have a site supervisor who is not the faculty sponsor, the student will also have to have the site supervisor complete the Site Supervisor Approval form.
- Worksheet for Internships - helps you and your student prepare the learning objectives and helps the student prepare to answer the questions on the Internship/Practicum Learning Agreement
- Faculty Sponsor Approval form (Should be completed after reviewing the student learning agreement)
Note that students can find the link to the Worksheet and the student learning agreement on the Student Internship/Practicum webpage.
We strongly urge you to submit the internship/practicum learning agreement during priority registration, but it can be completed during the add/drop period. Keep in mind that the form and approvals from your faculty sponsor and site supervisor (if necessary) must all be submitted no later than 4pm on the last day of the add/drop period.