Student COVID-19 FAQ

Last updated April 7, 2022

What are the symptoms of COVID? Do I really need to self-isolate if I have any of these symptoms? What if it’s just a cold?

Check out the latest list of symptoms from the CDC here. Symptoms of COVID-19 in fully vaccinated individuals can mimic the common cold.

So there is no way that you can independently and reliably distinguish whether respiratory symptoms that you have are a cold or similar illness, or are COVID.

If you do have COVID and you circulate around campus while infectious, you risk infecting other students, including those who are most vulnerable to serious illness from COVID. So if you have ANY COVID symptoms, it’s critical that you self-isolate and seek medical consultation.

I have COVID-19 symptoms. What should I do?

Regardless of vaccination status, students with any symptoms of COVID-19 are expected to:

  • Self-isolate in their residence, following the College’s guidelines for self-isolation. For residential students, these guidelines for self-isolation will allow you to start meal delivery.

  • Complete the COVID Self-Check and Reporting Form (SCARF), available through the Health Information Portal.*

  • Contact the Health Service at 503-768-7165 for medical consultation and a discussion about whether testing is necessary. Health Service staff are available 8 am to noon and 1 to 4 pm Monday through Friday, on days when undergraduate classes are in session. You can also reach them by scheduling a telehealth appointment via the Health Information Portal on Saturday mornings between noon and 2 pm. Alternatively, students may choose to seek medical consultation from off-campus healthcare providers (see resources below).

*Completing the SCARF form will notify the providers in the on-campus Health Service of your symptoms, but on weekdays during business hours it is best if you also CALL the Health Service in order to expedite your consultation.

Resources for medical consultation also include the after-hours nurse consultation line (1-877-617-9531, free to all students whenever the Health Service is closed); and off-campus providers.

What symptoms of COVID suggest there might be an emergency developing?

Check out this guidance from the CDC about COVID-19 symptoms that indicate an emergency is unfolding.

To access emergency medical support on-campus, contact Campus Safety at 503-768-7777, and call 911. You need to inform Campus Safety so they can help emergency responders find you.

Students off-campus should dial 911 to access emergency medical support.

Where can I get a COVID-19 test?

Especially for students living on-campus, we recommend that you get tested at the Health Service. In this way, you can avoid the problems associated with testing positive off-campus and then getting back to campus without exposing others.

On-campus testing

The Lewis & Clark Health Service offers medical consultation for students with symptoms of COVID-19. Providers can refer students for rapid testing (nasal swabs) conducted on-site using Abbott ID-NOW testing technology. The Abbott ID-Now COVID-19 test is a molecular test, and is highly reliable. Results are usually available within 30 minutes. Health Service staff also have the availability to take samples and send them out to an external lab for PCR testing, with results typically returned within 1 or 2 business days.

The Health Service is open 8 am to noon and 1 pm to 4 pm Monday through Friday, on days when classes are in session. Call 503-768-7165 on weekdays to request medical consultation around your symptoms, with the potential of COVID testing as a follow-up to the consultation. On Saturdays, the Health Service is open from noon to 2 pm for telehealth visits. Saturday visits can be scheduled starting the afternoon before, and should be scheduled through the Health Information Portal. While we are not currently offering COVID testing on-campus on Saturdays, our providers can offer you telehealth consultation on Saturdays, and offer you referrals for COVID testing. See our guide for a full description of the cost of testing in the Health Service.

If you are asymptomatic and have been exposed as a close contact to someone with COVID, free  rapid at-home antigen tests are available for pick-up on weekdays in the Health Promotion office in lower Odell Residence Hall. Pick-up hours are 8:30 am to 12:30 pm, and 1-5 pm. Follow the guidance on this CDC webpage for the timing of your post-exposure test. Note that individuals who are up-to-date on their vaccination will typically want to wait five days after exposure before testing. Testing too early after exposure is ineffective and wastes testing resources.  

Off-campus testing

This page outlines a few local health clinics and labs that offer rapid COVID testing.

The Oregon Health Authority has a website to help Oregonians find COVID testing locations in the state. The website has an English language version, and a Spanish-language version. Multnomah County also has a webpage that lists local COVID testing options, or students can call 211 for help in finding testing.

Where can I find testing if I have Oregon Health Plan, or if cost is an issue for me?

Please consult this list for testing sites that accept Oregon Health Plan insurance or offer no-cost testing—or call 211 to find testing near you.

What if I need testing on-campus when the Health Service is closed?

For students needing medical consultation after-hours, or on a weekend or holiday, we recommend that you:

  • Contact our after-hours nurse line for guidance: 1-877-617-9531.

  • If medical evaluation is recommended by nurseline staff, students can either:

    • Contact DispatchHealth. DispatchHealth provides on-site, mobile urgent care for medical problems, including COVID. Students can contact DispatchHealth through their app (available in the App Store or via Google Play), their website, or by calling 503-714-8987. Note that fees apply when DispatchHealth staff come to your location to diagnose or treat you, though their services are covered in part by many insurance plans, including the student health insurance plan. We recommend checking with your insurance plan to confirm if they will cover the services of DispatchHealth.

    • Students may also travel off-campus for medical consultation from a provider of their choice.

Students will be expected to self-isolate while awaiting testing or test results.

What if I test positive for COVID-19 on campus?

If you are diagnosed with COVID-19 via surveillance testing or by an on-campus medical provider, LC Wellness staff will reach out to you to support you into isolation. Students who live on-campus will be supported into on-campus isolation housing.

If you self-administer an antigen test and test positive, you should immediately isolate; complete the SCARF form in the Health Information Portal; and call the Health Service at 503-768-7165. If it is after-hours or the weekend: Instead of calling the Health Service, call Campus Safety at 503-768-7777 and ask to speak with the COVID consultant.  

Wellness staff will assist you with accessing food, medical care, and academic accommodations during your isolation period. The duration of your isolation period will be determined by Health Service staff, and you will need to be cleared by the Health Service before ending your isolation period.

What if I test positive for COVID-19 off campus?

If you are diagnosed with COVID by a provider off-campus:

If you receive your diagnosis when the Health Service is closed (after 4 p.m. on a weekday, or on a weekend or holiday), please complete the SCARF and also inform Campus Safety (503-768-7777), so they can prompt an on-call Wellness staff member to reach out to provide guidance and support.

How do I upload my COVID test results into the Health Information Portal?

Login to the Health Information Portal. Click on “Upload.” Choose “COVID-19 Test Results,” being sure to follow the instructions related to file size and type. Then click on the “Upload” button near the bottom of the page.

What if I need to miss class due to symptoms?

If you need to miss class because you are self-isolating due to symptoms of COVID-19, notify your instructors as soon as possible. You and your instructor should coordinate together to ensure you can make up any missed coursework. If you miss four or more consecutive meetings for a particular course, the Office of Student Accessibility ( ) may be able to provide support around your absence.

I’ve been receiving meal delivery because I had symptoms. But I have sought medical consultation, and they say I’m OK to leave my room. How do I stop meal delivery?

To cancel your meal delivery, please email the COVID-19 Specialist at and let them know that you no longer need meals delivered. 

I’m a fully-vaccinated student. What should I do if I am exposed to a confirmed case of COVID-19?

An exposure is defined as being within six feet of a confirmed case of COVID-19 for 15 minutes or more. If you are exposed, report your exposure via the Symptom Check and Reporting Form (SCARF) in the Health Portal.

Per Multnomah CountyOHA, and CDC, people who are up-to-date on their COVID vaccination do NOT need to quarantine after contact with someone who had COVID-19 unless they have symptoms. Fully vaccinated people need to get tested at least 5 days after their exposure, even if they don’t have symptoms, and wear a mask indoors in public for 10 days following exposure or until their test result is negative. You may attend class and other activities during this time.

If you develop symptoms, please immediately self-isolate and report your symptoms using the Symptom Check and Reporting Form (SCARF) in the Health Portal. If you report your diagnosis when the Health Service is closed (after 4 p.m. on a weekday, or on a weekend or holiday), please also inform Campus Safety (503-768-7777), so they can prompt an on-call Wellness staff member to reach out to provide guidance and support. Seek medical consultation as needed from the Health Service; the after-hours nurse line; or an off-campus medical provider.

I have an approved exemption from COVID-19 vaccination. What should I do if I am exposed to a confirmed case of COVID-19?

Unvaccinated people should quarantine after close contact (within 6 feet of someone for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period) with someone who has COVID-19.

To quarantine:

  • Complete the Symptom Check and Reporting Form in the Health Portal to report your exposure. LC Wellness staff will assist you with enacting your quarantine.

  • Stay in your residence for 10 days after your last contact with a person who has COVID-19.

  • Watch for fever, chills , cough, shortness of breath, or other symptoms of COVID-19.

  • Stay away from other people, especially people who are at higher risk for getting very sick from COVID-19. Follow the College’s guidelines for self-isolation. Those guidelines include instructions for how residential students can sign up for meal delivery.

How does contact tracing work?

The purpose of contact tracing is to identify people who may have been exposed to a disease and give them the recommendations and resources they need to avoid exposing others. Wellness staff will work with Multnomah County Health Department personnel to quickly identify and notify anyone who is deemed at risk because of exposure as a “close contact,” whether the site of that contact was in a residence hall, a classroom, office, or elsewhere.

LC Wellness staff will reach out to students who have been exposed as close contacts to COVID-19 via email, phone, and/or secure message in the Health Portal and work with students to collect relevant information about their health and recent activities, assess students’ risk, and guide them through the appropriate next steps such as quarantining or testing.

To support our contact tracing efforts, students should carefully monitor their email for notifications of exposure; always answer their phones, as it could be a contact tracer calling; ensure their voicemail is not full, so the contact tracer can leave a message; and cooperate fully with College contact tracers in the event of any potential COVID exposure situation.

How do I submit my proof of COVID-19 vaccination?

Providing proof of vaccination is a two-step process. Here are instructions for providing your proof of vaccination to the College.

You must submit valid vaccination information for review by LC Wellness staff (or have an approved exemption) in order to attend any on-campus classes, activities, or events.