Templeton Scholars Program
Lewis & Clark College offers Portland-area high school students seeking an academic challenge the opportunity to undertake advanced study through our Templeton Scholars program. Qualified students who have exhausted their high schools’ offerings may apply to the Templeton program. Not all qualified students who apply are chosen as Templeton Scholars, as space is limited in the program and it is a selective process.
Students selected as Templeton Scholars may enroll in one class per semester on a space-available basis. These classes are offered as part of the regular Lewis & Clark curriculum and students earn full Lewis & Clark credit for completed coursework. Credit earned through the Templeton Scholars program may be applied toward the Lewis & Clark degree. This credit may transfer to other institutions, but policies vary; students interested in this possibility should inquire with those schools. High schools may also give credit for courses taken through the Templeton Scholars program. To learn more, ask your high school counselor.
There is no tuition; however, there is an administrative fee of $300.00 per semester. Your high school may cover this cost. You should discuss the availability of such funds with your high school counselor. You are responsible for the fee if it is not paid by your high school. You are also responsible for any additional course-related expenses, such as books and supplies. Those selected to participate in the program will receive further information related to the administrative fee payment once it has been determined if space is available in the course the student wishes to take.
SPRING 2023 APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Space in the spring 2023 Templeton program is extremely limited. Not all qualified candidates will be accepted to the program. Acceptance to the program does not guarantee space will be available for you in your desired class.
Courses Offered in Spring 2023 open to Templeton Scholars:
- GRK 102 - Classical Greek II
LATN 202 - Advanced Readings in Latin
HIST 219 - Ancient Rome
- HIST 259 - India: Age of Empire
- MATH 132 - Calculus II
- MATH 233 - Calculus III
- PHIL 217 - Topics in Philosophy
Literature in Translation
GERM 230 - German Literature in Translation
- Third-Year language classes (300 level and above) for Chinese, French, German, Japanese, and Spanish (requires sufficient placement test proficiency)
Applying for Admission
Please see the application checklist below. Students must apply every semester for consideration as a Templeton scholar. To apply to the Templeton program, you must submit a completed Templeton Scholars Program Application Form along with a personal statement not longer than 500 words describing your academic experience in high school and explaining how coursework at Lewis & Clark will relate to your goals for the future.
After submitting the application, you will need to reach out to your high school counselor to request a reference. You should provide your counselor with the link to the Templeton Scholar Reference Form - Teacher/Counselor. Your counselor must also provide an official copy of your high school transcript. Please note: if you are applying to enroll as a Templeton Scholar for fall semester, your transcript must include your spring term grades. Be sure to ask your counselor to hold off sending a transcript until after the school year ends and final grades have posted.
You must also provide a reference from a high school teacher who has taught you in the subject area most closely aligned with the one you would like to pursue at Lewis & Clark and who can evaluate your ability to be successful in college-level work. Your teacher should use the Templeton Scholar Reference Form - Teacher/Counselor; be sure to provide the link to the form when asking your teacher for a reference. Students applying to re-enroll as Templeton Scholars must have a Lewis & Clark instructor provide a letter of recommendation in lieu of this form.
If you or your references are unable to submit the necessary materials online, items may be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to:
Lewis & Clark College
Templeton Scholars Program
615 S. Palatine Hill Road, MSC 32
Portland, OR 97219
Please note that all materials need to be received in our office by the below stated deadlines in order to be considered for review. Due to the selective nature of the Templeton program, incomplete and late applications will not receive consideration. Please be sure to request your references well ahead of the deadline.
Fall Deadline: July 21st
Spring Deadline: December 1st
The selection committee will make decisions on completed applications within three weeks following the deadlines. Notifications and instructions will be sent via email, so it is vital for you to check your messages.
- Templeton Scholars Program Application Form
- Personal statement not longer than 500 words describing your academic experience in high school and explaining how coursework at Lewis & Clark will relate to your goals for the future. You will upload this statement to the Templeton application.
- Counselor reference, submitted by your high school counselor via the Templeton Scholar Reference Form - Teacher/Counselor.
- Official high school transcript, including spring term grades if applying for fall (to be provided by your high school counselor along with the counselor reference).
- Teacher reference, submitted by a teacher who has taught you in the subject area most closely aligned with the one you would like to pursue at Lewis & Clark. Your teacher should use the Templeton Scholar Reference Form - Teacher/Counselor. Students applying to re-enroll as Templeton Scholars must have a Lewis & Clark instructor provide a letter of recommendation in lieu of this form.