School navigation

Content tagged with "school counseling"


  • Links to scholarship and financial aid information can be found on the Funding Graduate School web page

    After reviewing the information and you still have questions, you may contact the Finanical Aid office and identify yourself as a graduate student. You will be directed to a specialist who can answer your questions. Financial aid at the graduate level is primarily comprised of a variety of need-based and non-need based student bank loans. You must be admitted to the graduate program before the financial aid application is reviewed.

  • There are two school counseling programs available: The Master’s in Education degree (M.Ed.) with preparation for the Initial I School Counseling License. It is for students who have a bachelor’s degree and want to pursue a career in K-12 school counseling.

    The Initial I School Counseling Licensure-Only Program is for students with a completed master’s degree in a closely related field (e.g., teaching, counseling, social work) who would like to earn a their license to practice as a K-12 school counselor in Oregon.

  • The graduate school offers programs in both of these areas, and they are commonly confused but very different when you examine how you will interact with children in schools.

    The American School Counselor Association (ASCA) provides information about a career in school counseling, such as the role of the school counselor at various K-12 levels (elementary, middle school, and high school) and the responsibilities of the contemporary school counselor, on ASCA website:

    The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) has provided helpful information about the profession of school psychology, what the job is like, and how the profession compares to other related professions, such as school counseling, on their website:

    We urge you to do some research on the two professions if you are unsure which program is right for you. We invite you to attend an Informational Session at Lewis & Clark for each program prior to application. You can also contact a faculty member in the program to talk with them about what you are looking for. Lastly, we recommend that you interview a practicing school counselor and a practicing school psychologist to get a better sense of the real-world job experience for both fields.


  • No, you do not need to hold a teaching license in order to enter a school counseling program. Track I of each program is designed for students who already hold a teaching license and have taught successfully for two years under that license. The SCED 517 course is not a requirement for Track I students.

    Track II of each program is designed for students who have no prior teaching experience. In Oregon, there is a requirement that school counselors must have some formal teaching experience, so Track II programs include an additional course, SCED 517 Practicum in Classroom Instruction, that places students in a classroom setting and helps meet that requirement. After completing this requirement and earning an Initial School Counseling license, students are also eligible to substitute teach in the state of Oregon.


  • The Master’s Degree in Education and Initial I School Counseling License Program allows you to work as a school counselor in K-12 schools in Oregon. Once the program requirements are completed, you are recommended for licensure to Oregon’s governing licensure body, the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC). Once your license is granted, you are then eligible to be hired as a “school counselor” in Oregon schools.  

    Completing this program does not make you eligible to work as a private practitioner, LPC licensed practitioner, LMFT licensed practitioner, school psychologist, or full-time teacher. Additional training and licensure would be required for these professions (you can find information about our Teacher Education and Counseling Psychology programs elsewhere on this website). 

    School counseling graduates have been very successful in finding jobs. In the past, the majority of students were hired by the summer of their graduation from the program. Of course, the economic health of school districts certainly plays a role in the number of available school counselor positions. Some of the local school districts that have hired our students include Portland Public School District, Beaverton School District, Salem-Keizer School District, Reynolds School District, West Linn-Wilsonville School District, Vancouver and Evergreen (Washington) School Districts, among others throughout the Portland metro, coastal, and rural areas of Oregon. Many students are hired even prior to completing their entire program and thus are able to work in the field while finishing up their final requirements.

    While we do not have hiring placement services, we do support students as they seek employment by advertising job fairs and job openings, providing instructions for the application process and TSPC licensure application process, communicating directly with hiring districts, and providing letters of recommendation. Many of these services are offered through our office of K-12 Educational Career & Licensing Services (ECLS).

  • At this time, we do not offer dual-licensure or dual-degree programs with other Lewis & Clark programs.

  • The number of required classes will be different for each student because every person has a unique educational and work experience history. Every student admitted to this program must submit waiver/transfer documents for each of our required courses during the first term of enrollment, either based on previous coursework or work experience. For our current policies on transferred courses, please visit this page:

    Please note that there is a difference between transferred credit and waived credit. Transferred credit generally substitutes for course credit required for your program, while waived credit based on work experience acknowledges that the course content has been covered previously, but the credits must then be made up with other coursework.

    Once you are admitted, we recommend early advising to review transcripts and get a sense of personalized program requirements.

    We do have some program requirements that cannot be waived, including all three internship courses. For track II licensure-only program students, the teaching practicum course is also required (SCED 517). Beyond the internships, we also require particular elements of the program and attempt to be flexible about completing them (such as partial waivers or individualized assignments). Most students complete the program in about two years, in light of the internship requirements.

  • Internships are arranged by Lewis & Clark internship placement coordinators. We ask that students do not initiate or attempt to make arrangements on their own. Our experienced internship coordinators have numerous contacts throughout the Portland Metro area (and beyond, for some student situations) and will seek out the best opportunity for you. Upon enrollment, students are asked to complete a form about placement preferences and considerations, and students are notified of their placement as soon as possible. We refer to the first two internships as “micro internships,” and each are one semester long. The third and final internship is referred to as the “macro internship” and provides the experience of being in one school for the entire year, from the start of the school year in August through the end in June.

  • No, you do not need a definitive idea of your preferred grade level. We do require three separate internships during the program, one at each level (elementary, middle school, and high school), so that you gain experience at every level and increase your eventual job opportunities. The job of the school counselor looks different at each level, and we want to provide you with that experience first-hand. It may help to have some idea of your level preferences to inform your internship sequences. Upon completion of the program students are eligible for a K-12 School Counseling license from Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission.

  • Working school counselors on a short-term license should apply to the program as soon as possible. Since these particular licenses have expiration dates, you are encouraged to apply as early as possible to give yourself the time necessary to complete the entire program, which most often takes two years to complete. Admission time occurs only once a year (February 1 application deadline for a summer or fall start), so plan accordingly. Working school counselors will need to inquire within their current school district about scheduling flexibility, as internships will need to be completed during work hours, plus any additional coursework on campus during the evenings, weekends, or summer terms.

  • At this time, we do not allow students to take only one course before we recommend them for licensure.

  • The Oregon Initial I School Counseling License is valid only in Oregon. However, most states have their own process for determining licensure transfer or eligibility. Every state will have distinct requirements and expectations for school counselors, so you are encouraged to contact the state’s governing licensure body and inquire about their requirements. It is often a matter of examining the components of your training. Typically, an Oregon license will serve as a provisional license with the possibility of additional requirements.

    Detailed information about each state’s requirements are available through the respective state’s licensing websites. We recommend that students find out beforehand about any additional requirements in the other state of intended employment and incorporate those requirements into their Lewis & Clark program. Many former students have successfully obtained an additional license from another state.

    Specific questions can be referred to our office of K-12 Educational Career & Licensing Services.

  • During the fall and spring semesters at Lewis & Clark, courses are generally offered in the evenings (5:30-8:30 pm). There is also the occasional weekend course during the year. During the summer term, courses are offered on a compact schedule, usually with longer days for an intensive period (1-3 weeks).

    Full-time students who want to complete the program in two years can expect to spend two days a week in K-12 schools completing internship and practicum hours, and will take 3-4 courses per term. Part-time students who want to complete the program in three or more years can expect to spend one day a week in K-12 schools, and will take 1-3 courses per term. Some of the required courses are sequenced, while others are not, thus providing both structure and flexibility.

    Students must begin their program in either the summer or fall term; attendance during at least one summer term is also required (due to the fact that some courses are only offered during the summer). 

  • For the “micro internships” that take place at the start of the program, students are expected to spend one full day a week in placements. For the “macro internship” that takes place during the final year of the program, students are expected to spend two full days a week in placements.

    Students who are in track II and need to complete the teaching practicum will also spend one full day a week in their practicum placement focused on the teaching requirements.

    The exact schedules for internships and the practicum are determined at the start of the internship and are based on an agreement between the student and the supervising mentor counselor/teacher at the school placement.

  • Most students find that a flexible job schedule that allows for some weekday work (when you are not scheduled for your internship), evening work (when you are not in class), and/or weekend work is best while completing the program.

    Students in the licensure-only program have a particular challenge if they are already working in a K-12 school. Due to the internship requirements, which must take place at different schools, a flexible schedule is required. We can usually arrange one internship to take place at your current place of work, but the other internship does require scheduled daytime hours and supervision at other schools. We will work with you to attain the most convenient schedule for you, but flexibility is critical.

  • Full-time students can complete the master’s and initial license program (45 credit hours) in two years or about five semesters (to include at least one summer term). Full-time students are usually those who are completing internships and the practicum from the start of the program, attending 3-4 courses a term, and have worked with an advisor to plan a program to complete within two years.

    Part-time students can complete the master’s and initial license program in three or more years. Part-time students usually spread out their internships and/or practicum, take fewer classes a term, and have worked with an advisor to plan a flexible program to complete in the desired time.  


  • Complete information about admissions is available on the Admissions web pages.





Share this story on