The US Congress created the Fulbright Program to foster mutual understanding among nations through educational and cultural exchanges. Recipients apply for specific programs, which may include university course work, independent research, or other special projects. The two main categories are English Teaching Assistantships (ETA) and Research Fellowships.
Increasingly, Fulbright is sponsoring a third category–a year (and sometimes more) of graduate education in certain countries around the world. These applications usually require two applications–one to Fulbright, and one to the intended eligible graduate school institution. The Fulbright application will likely be due before the graduate school application. Let us know if you have any questions.
For the latest information from the Fulbright Student Program, we encourage those who are interested to attend a webinar. There, you will be able to ask questions about the type of programs available and your eligibility for them.
Campus Contact and Application Process
LEWIS AND CLARK COLLEGE Fulbright Deadline: September 16, 2019, 4:00 p.m.; the final Fulbright Deadline is October 8, 2019, 2:00 p.m. local time.
Your Fulbright application and all supporting documents, including letters of affiliation and transcripts, must be submitted electronically. Please read the entire instruction sheet.
To be completed by Monday, September 16, 2019:
- Emailed to Fulbright Coordinator, Tiffany Prizzi:
- Two essays (see below)
- Schedule of availability for campus interviews
- Through the Fulbright Application (DO NOT SUBMIT COMPLETED APPLICATION UNTIL OCTOBER 8, 2019)
- Three letters of reference, submitted by your recommenders
- Unofficial transcript
- Letter of Overseas affiliation (if needed)
- Language evaluation (if needed)
• Application Form: Please email a copy of your essays to Tiffany Prizzi, firstname.lastname@example.org, by the LC deadline, Monday, September 16, 2019, at 4 P.M.
PLEASE NOTE: YOU WILL NOT COMPLETE YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION ITSELF UNTIL AFTER INTERVIEWS AND FEEDBACK. HOWEVER, THE CAMPUS COMMITTEE WILL REQUIRE THAT CERTAIN OTHER MATERIAL BE SUBMITTED THROUGH THE FULBRIGHT APPLICATION PROCESS BY THE TIME OF OUR INTERNAL DEADLINE OF SEPTEMBER 16, 2019. THESE INCLUDE: YOUR THREE LETTERS OF REFERENCE (TO BE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED BY YOUR REFEREES), YOUR TRANSCRIPT, ANY NEEDED LETTERS OF AFFILIATION, YOUR LANGUAGE EVALUATION IF NEEDED, To be clear: You will not submit your two essays and availability for interviews at this time, instead sending them to Tiffany Prizzi as above.
•Online Application is here.
You will be asked to provide the following institutional information: Institution: Lewis and Clark College, 2019-20 FPA: Jane Hunter, email@example.com, 503-768-7446.
• Reference Letters: Letters must be submitted online using the application site. Register your recommenders online. These should be completed by the LC deadline.
• Transcript(s)*: Unofficial transcripts from every college/university you have attended must be submitted online on the application site. You may open any official transcript(s) to scan and upload to the “Transcript” page. This should be completed by the LC deadline.
• Overseas affiliation (if required)*: Establish contact(s) in your host country and obtain a letter from that contact for inclusion in your Fulbright application. The letter must be uploaded online to Fulbright application by the LC deadline. [For more information about the affiliation: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/applicants/application-components]
• Foreign Language Evaluation (if required): Must be completed by a professional language teacher, and submitted online through the Fulbright application. Register the evaluator online. This should be completed by the LC deadline.
• Campus Interviews: We will notify you of your interview appointment after the September 16th campus deadline. Interviews take place in late September/early October. You will be interviewed by a small faculty committee from a broad range of academic disciplines. The resulting evaluation of your application will be sent to Fulbright by our office. The committee will also provide you with feedback for revising your essays. After the interview, you will have approximately one week to make final changes to your application before submitting revisions to your designated faculty reader & the LC Fulbright Program Advisor. Your faculty reader should approve the final essays before you post them on your Fulbright application to complete your application in time for the final submission deadline of October 8, 2019, 2:00 p.m. local time. (You will be responsible for coordinating with your reader so that you can meet this deadline, which may in some cases mean forgoing the final reader approval.)
The College evaluation of your application will be sent to Fulbright separately by our office.
• Applying from a Distance: Fulbright requires enrolled students to submit applications to the campus Fulbright Program Advisor by the campus deadline. If you are unable to be present in person for an interview during this period, you may still submit an application. Telephone interviews and feedback will be provided.
• Alumni Applications: Fulbright expects enrolled students to submit applications via the campus Fulbright Program Advisor and campus deadline. LC graduates who are no longer enrolled during Fall 2019 may participate in the campus review process (submit application to LC by campus deadline), thus benefiting from the feedback, revision, and evaluation process. Graduates may also choose to apply at-large (submit application directly to Fulbright by their deadline), but will forego the aforementioned benefits.
Campus deadline: September 16, 2019; National deadline: October 8, 2019. See info above for this year’s deadlines and campus application process.
Seniors and recent graduates are invited to apply. In some countries, applicants must have sufficient proficiency in the written and spoken language of the host country to communicate with the people and to carry out the proposed study. Applicants for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program must be U.S. citizens at the time of application. Non-U.S. citizens may be eligible for the Fulbright Foreign Student Program.
Contact for any questions: