Associate Professor of Economics
J.R. Howard Hall
Eric Tymoigne is an Associate Professor of Economics at Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon; and Research Associate at the Levy Economics Institute of Bard College. His areas of teaching and research include macroeconomics, money and banking, and monetary economics.
Econ 100: Principles of Economics
Econ 103: Statistics
Econ 220: The Financial System and the Economy
Econ 250: Radical Political Economy
Econ 302: Intermediate Macroeconomic Theory
Econ 320: Modern Money, Banking and The Macroeconomy
Econ 402: Advanced Macroeconomics
Econ 433: Senior Seminar
2015- : Associate Professor of Economics, Lewis & Clark College
2006- : Research Associate, Levy Economics Institute
2009-2015: Assistant Professor of Economics, Lewis & Clark College
2006-2009: Assistant Professor of Economics, California State University, Fresno
2004-2006: Instructor, University of Missouri – Kansas City
2001-2004: Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of Missouri – Kansas City
- The Rise and Fall of Money Manager Capitalism: Minsky’s Half Century from World War Two to the Great Recession (with L. Randall Wray). London: Routledge. 2014.
- Central Banking, Asset Prices, and Financial Fragility. London: Routledge. 2009.
- “Law, sovereignty and the monetization of the European economies: a review of Making Money and Money in the Western Legal Tradition.” Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, 2019: 1-24
- “Debunking the Public Debt and Deficit Rhetoric.” Challenge, 62 (5), 2019: 281-298.
- “Government Monetary and Fiscal Operations: Generalizing the Endogenous Money Approach” Cambridge Journal of Economics, 40 (5), 2016: 1317-1332.
- “Modern Money Theory: A Reply to Palley,” (with L. Randall Wray) Review of Political Economy, 27 (1), 2015: 24-44
“The Cost of Job Guarantee: Insights from the 1930s Work Programs.” Review of Radical Political Economy, 46 (4), December 2014: 517-535.
- “Modern Money Theory and the Interrelation between the Treasury and the Central Bank: The Case of the United States.” Journal of Economic Issues, 48 (3), September 2014: 641-662.
- “Measuring Macroprudential Risk through Financial Fragility: A Minskian Approach.” Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, 36 (4), Summer 2014: 719-744.
“Job Guarantee and Its Critiques: Insights from the New Deal Experience.” International Journal of Political Economy, 42 (2), Summer 2013: 63-87.
- “It Isn’t Working: Time for more Radical Policies.” (With L.R. Wray) Public Policy Brief No.105, Levy Economics Institute, November 2009
- “A Hard-Nosed Look at Worsening U.S. Household Finance.” Challenge, 50 (4), July-August 2007: 88-111
- “Improving Financial Stability: Uncertainty versus Imperfection.” Journal of Economic Issues, 41 (2), June 2007: 503-511
- “Post Keynesian Economics since 1936: A History of a Promise that Bounced?” (With F.S. Lee) Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, 26 (2), Winter 2003-4: 273-287
- “Keynes and Commons on Money.” Journal of Economic Issues, 37 (3), September 2003: 527-545
- “La demande de monnaie dans le modèle de Moore.” Les Cahiers Lillois d’Économie et de Sociologie, 38, Novembre 2002: 97-132
Contributions in Edited Books:
- “A Financial Analysis of Monetary Systems.” In Papadimitriou, D.P (ed.) Contributions to Economic Theory, Policy, Development and Finance. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. 2014.
- “Financial Stability, Regulatory Buffers, and Economic Growth after the Great Recession: Some Regulatory Implications.” In Whalen, C.J. (ed.), Financial Instability and Economic Security after the Great Recession, Northampton: Edward Elgar. 2011.
- “Engineering Pyramid Ponzi Finance: The Evolution of Private Finance from 1970–2008 and Implications for Regulation.” In J. Leclaire, T.-H. Jo, and J. Knodell (eds.) Heterodox Analysis of Financial Crisis and Reform, Northampton: Edward Elgar. 2011.
- “Minsky and Economic Policy: ‘Keynesianism’ all over again?” In Papadimitriou, D. and L.R. Wray (eds.), The Elgar Companion to Hyman P. Minsky. Northampton: Edward Elgar. 2010.
- “The Financial Crisis: Subprime or Systemic?” In Gregoriou, G. N. (ed.) Banking Crisis. London: Taylor and Francis. 2010.
- “Macroeconomics Meets Hyman P. Minsky: The Financial Theory of Investment.” (With L. R. Wray) In Fontana and Setterfield (eds.) Macroeconomic Theory and Macroeconomic Pedagogy. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. 2009.
- “Money: An Alternative Story.” (With L. R. Wray) In Arestis, P. and M. Sawyer (eds.), Handbook of Alternative Monetary Economics: 1-16. Northampton: Edward Elgar. 2006
- “Deflation.” In Beckert, J. and M. Zafirovsky (eds.), The International Encyclopedia of Economic Sociology, 132-134. London: Routledge. 2005.
- “Expectations.” In King, J. (ed.), The Elgar Companion to Post Keynesian Economics, 135-141. Northampton: Edward Elgar. 2003.
- Harvesting Gold by Hammes, D.L. EH.Net.
- Guardians of Finance by Barth J.R., Caprio Jr, G., and Levine, R. Journal of Economic Issues, 47 (1), March 2013.
- Safeguarding Financial Stability by Schinasi, G.J. Journal of Economic Issues, 41 (1), March 2007
- Central Banking in the Modern World by Lavoie, M. and M. Seccareccia (eds.). Journal of Economic Issues, 40 (1), March 2006
- Making Money by Crow, J. Journal of Economic Issues, 38 (1), March 2004
- The Fed by Mayer, M. Journal of Economic Issues, 37 (1), March 2003
PhD University of Missouri-Kansas City 2006, M.A. Université Paris 9, Dauphine 2000, BA Université de Bretagne Occidentale, Brest 1999