Moriah B. Bostian
Associate Professor of Economics
- Copyright, Steve Hambuchen
J.R. Howard Hall
Moriah Bostian joined the Economics Department at Lewis & Clark in 2011. She completed her Ph.D. in economics at Oregon State University in 2010 with fields of specialization in Environmental and Natural Resource Economics and Econometrics.
Her research interests include agri-environmental policy, integrated modeling, productivity analysis, and water resources.
Dr. Bostian will spend part of the 2018-2019 academic year in Sweden as a Fulbright Scholar visitor to Umeä University Centre for Environmental and Resource Economics (CERE) researching forest biofuel production. Dr. Bostian spent the 2014 - 2015 academic year in Finland as a Fulbright Scholar at the University of Turku, where she researched the productivity effects of agri-environmental program participation. Before coming to Lewis & Clark she worked on a USDA-funded project to assess the environmental effects of watershed conservation policies on agricultural lands.
SpecialtyEnvironmental and Natural Resource Economics, Econometrics, Productivity Analysis
- Visiting Researcher, Umeå University Centre for Environmental and Resource Economics (CERE), Umeå, Sweden Summer 2016-2018; VATT Institute for Economic Research, Helsinki, Finland. Summer 2016, 2017.
- Fulbright Scholar, The University of Turku School of Economics, Turku, Finland. 2014-2015 Academic Year.
- Visiting Researcher, The French National Institute for Agricultural Research (INRA), Rennes, France. Summers 2012-2015.
- Bostian, M. B., Färe, R., Grosskopf, S., Lundgren, T., 2018. Network Representations of Pollution-Generating Technologies, International Review of Environmental and Resource Economics 11(3), 193-231.
- Bostian, M. B., Färe, R., Grosskopf, S., Lundgren, T., Weber, W. L., 2018. Time substitution for environmental performance: The case of Sweden manufacturing, Empirical Economics 54(1), 129-152.
- Barnhart, B., Lu, Z., Bostian, M., Sinha, A., Deb, K., Kurkalova, L., Jha, M., and Whittaker, G. 2017. Handling practicalities in agricultural policy optimization for water quality improvements. In GECCO ’17 Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, ACM, 1065-1072.
- Whittaker, G., Färe, R., Grosskopf, S., Barnhart, B., Bostian, M. B., Mueller-Warrant, G., Griffith, S., 2017. Spatial Targeting of Agri-Environmental Policy using Bilevel Evolutionary Optimization, OMEGA, The International Journal of Management Science 66, Part A, 15-27.
- Bostian, M. B., Färe, R., Grosskopf, S., Lundgren, T., 2016. Environmental Investment, Energy Efficiency and Environmental Performance: A Network Approach, Energy Economics 57, 243 - 255.
- Barnhart, B., Bostian, M. B., Whittaker, G., Färe, R., Grosskopf, S., 2016. Prioritizing conservation for the reduction of Gulf hypoxia using an environmental performance index. Ecological Indicators 66, 235 - 241.
- Bostian, M. B., Whittaker, G., Barnhart, B., Färe, R., Grosskopf, S., 2015. Valuing water quality tradeoffs at different spatial scales: An integrated approach using bilevel optimization. Water Resources and Economics 11, 1 - 12.
- Bostian, M. B., Sinha, A., Whittaker, G., Barnhart, B., 2015. Incorporating Data Envelopment Analysis solution Methods into Bi-Level Multi-Objective Optimization. 2015 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC), 1667-1674.
Bostian, M. B., Herlihy, A. T., 2014. Valuing Tradeoffs Between Agricultural Production and Wetland Condition in the U.S. Mid-Atlantic Region. Ecological Economics 105, 284 - 291.
Bellenger, M., Herlihy, A. T., 2010. Performance Based Environmental Index Weights: Are all Metrics Created Equal? Ecological Economics 69 (5), 1043-1050.
Bellenger, M., Herlihy, A. T., 2009. An Economic Approach to Environmental Indices. Ecological Economics 68 8-9, 2216-2223.
Bellenger, M., Fields, D., Hite, D., Tilt, K., 2008. Producer Preferences for Migrant Labor and the Wages, Hours and Gross Sales Effects in Alabama’s Horticulture Industry. Hort Technology 18, 301-307, 2008.
- World Congress of Environmental and Resource Economics (WCERE, Gothenburg, 2018): “Bilevel Optimization of Conservation Practices for Agricultural Production”
- Asia Pacific Productivity Conference (APPC, Seoul, 2018): “Assessing the Impact of Agri-Environmental Management Practices on Farm Productivity When Adoption is Endogenous”
- European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists (EAERE, Athens, 2017): “Assessing the Impact of Agri-Environmental Management Practices on Farm Productivity When Adoption is Endogenous”
- European Workshop on Efficiency and Productivity Analysis (EWEPA, London, 2017): “Prevention or cure? Evaluating the tradeoffs between emissions abatement measures”
- Southern Economics Association (SEA) Annual Meeting (Washington, 2016): “Bilevel Optimization for Agricultural Production”
- INFORMS (Nashville, 2016): “Impacts of Climate Uncertainty on a Bilevel Optimization Framework for Targeting Agricultural Conservation Policy”
- INFORMS (Philadelphia, 2015): “Expected frontiers: Incorporating climate uncertainty into a bilevel multi-objective optimization framework”
- The Ulvön Conference on Environmental Economics (Ulvön, 2015): “Environmental investment and firm performance: A network approach”
- International Association of Energy Economics (IAEE) Annual Meeting (Antalya, 2015): “Environmental investment, energy efficiency and environmental performance: A network approach”
- Asia-Pacific Productivity Conference (Brisbane, 2014): “Valuing Water Quality Tradeoffs at the Farm Level: An Integrated Approach”
North American Productivity Workshop (Ottawa, 2014): “Targeting Agricultural Conservation in the Mississippi/Atchafalaya River Basin for the Reduction of Gulf Hypoxia”
- European Association of Environmental and Resource Economics (Prague, 2012): “Shadow Pricing Wetland Function”
Honors and Awards
- 2018-2019 CORE Fulbright U.S. Scholar award to Umeå University Centre for Environmental and Resource Economics (CERE), Sweden, “Forests for the future: Achieving Sweden’s forest bioenergy production goals through the use of bilevel optimization methods.”
- 2016 Sylvia Lane Mentorship Award, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association (AAEA), “Bilevel Optimization of Conservation Practices for Agricultural Production,”with Lyubov Kurkalova (NCA&T State University)
- 2016 NSF BEACON Center for the Study of Evolution in Action Grant, “Agri-Environmental Government-Farmer Tax Policies for Controlling Fertilizer Run-off Using a Evolutionary Bi-level Framework,” with Bradley Barnhart, Kalyanmoy Deb, Rolf Färe, Shawna Grosskopf, Pekka Malo, Ankur Sinha, and Gerald Whittaker
- 2014-2015 CORE Fulbright U.S. Scholar award to University of Turku, Finland, “Productivity Change and Environmental Performance under Finland’s Agri-Environmental Program.”
Ph.D. in Economics, Oregon State University, 2010, M.S. in Applied Economics, Auburn University, 2005, B.S. in Economics and International Affairs, Florida State University, 2003.