A Grand Tour of Morocco with Anthropologist Oren Kosansky
If you are interested please fill out this interest form. We will contact you as soon as registration opens (probably May 10, 2021).
Date: May 11th to 24th, 2022
Trip Length: 13 Nights, 14 Days: Plus optional Homestay experience
Group Size: About 14 - 22 participants
Cost: About $4,950. Optional Home-stay fee TBD.
This extraordinary Moroccan adventure combines breathtaking scenery, with excursions to ancient ruins, imperial cities, sacred mosques, lush desert oases, imposing kasbahs, spirited souks, and villages where life proceeds much as it has for centuries. Follow a fabled ancient caravan route in the snow topped High Atlas Mountains and see spectacular Todra Gorge. Immerse yourself in Berber culture, influenced by Islamic, African, and European traditions.
Lewis & Clark professor Oren Kosansky’s expertise regarding Moroccan society and his experiences in North Africa will be a resource along the journey. The local staff from Experience Morocco will coordinate ground transportation and lodging and share their culture and insight with participants.
- See five celebrated UNESCO World Heritage sites including Essaouira, Rabat, Volubilis, the Ksar of Ait-Ben-Haddou, and the Medinas of Marrakesh and Fés.
- Take-in the dramatic vistas in the Rif Mountains, and stroll along the African coast.
- Enjoy a sunset camel ride, campfire feast, stargazing in the Sahara, overnight in luxury tents and breakfast amidst expansive dunes.
- Delight in culinary adventures featuring traditional Moroccan cuisine, lunch with a family in a local village, cooking lessons, and opportunities to wander and taste in outdoor markets.
- Benefit from collaborations with Lewis & Clark partners Center for Arabic and Islamic Studies (NLAC) in Fez, The Center for Language & Culture (CLC) in Marrakech, and the Moroccan Jewish Museum in Casablanca.
- Facilitated discussions with local experts and Dr. Oren Kosansky to further grow in understanding of Moroccan culture.
Day 1 - Arrival. Overnight in Casablanca
Day 2 - Overnight in Rabat
Day 3, 4 & 5 - Visit Meknes, Volibulis and Overnight in Fez three nights.
Day 6 - Journey into the Sahara. Overnight in Luxury Tent Camp
Day 7 - Todra Gorge and Overnight in Ourzazate
Day 8, 9, 10, 11 - Travel to Marrakech. One day Optional Excursion to Imlil in the Atlas Mountains. Overnight Marrakech four nights.
Day 12, 13 - Visit the Oceanside. Overnight Essaoura two nights.
Day 14 - Early departure for Marrakech. Departure for late afternoon flights to Europe, US and Beyond. Optional post-trip extension 3-Night Home-stay experience.
Boutique Moroccan Riads with distinct architectural features. The equivalent of four and five star hotels. Luxury Tent Camp in the Sahara.
Dr. Oren Kosansky , Associate Professor of Anthropology and
Program Director of Middle East and North Africa Studies.
Professor Kosansky has published widely on topics of religion, language, colonialism, and nationalism in North Africa, with special focus on Morocco. He is the director of The Rabat Genizah Project, which brings together an international team of community representatives, scholars, archivists, and information technologists to develop a digital archive of Moroccan Jewish documents. Dr. Kosansky was the co-founder and inaugural leader of the Lewis & Clark Morocco program. Oren led an alumni group on this Grand Tour in 2018.
Contact Andrew McPheeters, Associate Vice President of Alumni and Parent Engagement at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-768-7936.