This trip is sold out. For more information and to join the waitlist, please
email Emily Decker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday, August 13 through Tuesday, August 21, 2018
Led by Liz Safran, Associate Professor of Geological Sciences
Accompanied by Emily Decker, Senior Associate Director of Alumni and Parent Programs
This amazing Icelandic adventure combines the breathtaking scenery of Iceland’s natural beauty with the sophisticated urban center of Reykjavik. Arrive in Reykjavik and embark on excursions to the Westman Islands, the black sands of Reynisfjara beach, Skogafoss waterfall, Thingvellir National Park, Geysir hot spring, Borgarfjorour, Hraunfossar Falls, Snaefellsnes Peninsula, Snaefellsjokull glacier, and Deildartunguhver, just to name a few.
We will begin and end our trip with time in Reykjavik where we’ll enjoy free time to explore museums and galleries, theater, boutiques, and restaurants. L&C alumni Hjordis Magnusdottir ’83 and Benedikt Hoskuldsson ’83 will provide special opportunities for our group, ensuring a distinctive, personal experience in this remarkable country.
About 15 to 20 participants.
- Explore Westman Islands - hike to the crater of a volcano that erupted only three decades ago, learn about the islands rich history, explore sea caves and observe puffins and other seabirds on a boat tour around the islands (we’ll have one option for those looking for more adventure and another option for a calmer water experience), and sample award winning beer (made with local ingredients) at a local brewery.
- Witness the powerful waves and amazing basalt column features and walk the black sands of Reynisfjara beach.
- View countless geologic formations and amazing waterfalls.
- Learn about Iceland’s natural wonders from L&C geologist, Liz Safran.
- Guided hike on the Sólheimajökull glacier.
- Explore Langjökull glacier with a tour inside the glacier.
- Soak in the warm waters of Deildartunguhver, Europe’s most powerful hot spring.
- Experience Reykjavik with Hjordis Magnusdottir ’83 and Benedikt Hoskuldsson ’83.
- Visit the famous Blue Lagoon for a relaxing soak and spa experience.
Fosshótel Reykjavik (3 nights total)
Hotel Vestmannaeyjar (2 nights)
Hótel Örk (one night)
Hótel Húsafell (2 nights)
Price includes breakfast each day, two lunches, and five dinners. Meals on your own will give you the opportunity to explore the many wonderful tastes of Iceland!
$5190 per person double occupancy ($800 non-refundable deposit, plus final payment of $4390). Single occupancy supplement is an additional $940 ($800 non-refundable deposit, plus final payment of $5,330). Airfare is not included.
Deposit Due Date (paid to Lewis & Clark College)
Monday, April 23, 2018**
Final Payment Due Date (paid to Iceland Travel)
Friday, June 22, 2018
Flights and Arrival
Participants select and book their own flights arriving in Reykjavik by Monday morning, August 13, 2018. Airport transfer to our first excursion will be scheduled for Monday morning. Please email Emily Decker in the Alumni and Parent Programs office if you are considering a flight that arrives in Reykjavik after 9 am local time.
**This trip is sold out. For more information and to join the waitlist, please email Emily Decker at email@example.com. **
Questions? Please contact Emily Decker, Sr. Associate Director of Alumni and Parent Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-768-7838.
Learn More about Liz:
I am a geomorphologist — a geologist who worries about how landscapes evolve. I am originally from the Boston area but have been on the west coast throughout my graduate and post-doctoral work, which I did at the University of Washington, University of California (UC), Santa Barbara and UC Santa Cruz. I was first drawn into geology through a class taught by Stephen Jay Gould, with the modest title of “The History of Earth and of Life.” Once I learned that field trips and camping were required elements of the geology major, I was hooked. I have been at Lewis & Clark College since 2000. For me, this is a wonderful professional setting, where I get to interact with intellects from vastly different fields and with inquisitive, gung-ho students.
Academic Credentials: PhD 1998 University of California at Santa Barbara, M.S 1993 University of Washington, BA 1989 Harvard University
August 13-21, 2018