This program is sold out.
Sunday, May 6 through Saturday, May 19, 2018
Led by Dr. Oren Kosansky, Associate Professor of Anthropology and
Program Director of Middle East and North Africa Studies
Accompanied by Andrew McPheeters, Associate Dean of Alumni, Parent, and Student Engagement
This extraordinary Moroccan adventure combines breathtaking scenery, with excursions to ancient ruins, imperial cities, sacred mosques, lush desert oases, imposing kasbahs, spirited souks, and villages where life proceeds much as it has for centuries. Follow a fabled ancient caravan route in the snow topped High Atlas Mountains and see spectacular Todra Gorge. Immerse yourself in Berber culture, influenced by Islamic, African, and European traditions.
Lewis & Clark professor Oren Kosansky’s expertise regarding Moroccan society and his experiences in North Africa will be a resource along the journey. The local staff from Experience Morocco will coordinate ground transportation and lodging and share their culture and insight with participants.
Please see the brochure for details.
About 18 to 22 participants.
Deposit Due Date:
There are still a few more spots. The deadline for depositing has been extended to Friday, February 2nd as long as space remains.
- See five celebrated UNESCO World Heritage sites including Rabat, Volubilis, the Ksar of Ait-Ben-Haddou, and the Medinas of Marrakesh and Fés.
- Explore Chefchaouen’s startling sea of blue buildings set against a backdrop of the rugged Rif Mountains.
- Enjoy a sunset camel ride, campfire feast, stargazing in the Sahara, overnight in luxury tents and breakfast amidst expansive dunes.
- Delight in culinary adventures featuring traditional Moroccan cuisine, lunch with a family in a local village, a special Ramadan “break the fast” meal, and opportunities to wander and taste in outdoor markets.
- Benefit from collaborations with Lewis & Clark partners Center for Arabic and Islamic Studies in Fez, The Center for Language & Culture Marrakech, and the Moroccan Jewish Museum in Casablanca.
- Facilitated discussions with local experts and Dr. Oren Kosansky to further grow in understanding of Moroccan culture.
Dr. Oren Kosansky has published widely on topics of religion, language, colonialism, and nationalism in North Africa, with special focus on Morocco. He is the director of The Rabat Genizah Project, which brings together an international team of community representatives, scholars, archivists, and information technologists to develop a digital archive of Moroccan Jewish documents. Dr. Kosansky was the co-founder and inaugural leader of the Lewis & Clark Morocco program, which he will lead again in 2019.
Boutique Moroccan Riads with distinct architectural features. The equivalent of four and five star hotels. Please see brochure for examples.
Price includes breakfast each day, lunch 11 days, and dinner 10 days.
$4,600 per person double occupancy ($800 deposit, plus final payment of $3,800). Single occupancy supplement is an additional $1,410 ($800 deposit, plus final payment of $5,210). Airfare is not included.
Flights and Arrival
Participants select and book their own flights arriving in Casablanca by 3:00 pm, Sunday, May 6th, 2018.
Lewis & Clark has arranged with Exito Travel to assist you with your flight arrangements to ensure connecting flights are coordinated with the group departure. This is a free service but participants are under no obligation to use this service.
Please contact: Isaac Hilpman, Flight Specialist at Exito Travel. Direct line: 970-331-0726 or toll free 800-655-4053 ext. 8542.
Experience Morocco has included VIP Airport Service at Mohammed V International Airport. Their team will greet you at the plane and give you access to a lounge with refreshments, while they handle your immigration entry and then accompany you through baggage and provide ongoing transportation. Transfers from hotel to airport are also included when departing out of Casablanca on Saturday, May 19th, 2018.
The most complete information, itinerary details, and terms and conditions can be found in this PDF from our travel partner Experience Morocco.
This program is sold out. For more information and to join the waitlist, please email Andrew McPheeters at email@example.com.
Questions? Please contact Andrew McPheeters, Associate Dean of Alumni, Parent, and Student Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-768-7936.
May 6-19, 2018