The May 11-19, 2020 trip to Cuba has been postponed.
Our new projected travel dates are April 26 - May 4, 2021.
We will be in touch as soon as we have more information.
Led by Freddy Vilches, Associate Professor of Hispanic Studies and Music Instructor of Charango and Venezuelan Cuatro.
This is an extraordinary trip to Havana with an excursion into the countryside. You will connect with Cuban citizens from all walks of life, including artists, educators and entrepreneurs, to discover the realities of this incredibly fascinating nation. Enjoy magnificent 20th-century architecture, spectacularly beautiful landscapes, an intriguing Afro-Cuban culture and a vibrant music, dance and art scene
The journey will benefit from Associate Professor Freddy Vilches’ experiences in Cuba, and his expertise around Afro-Cuban music. The seasoned staff from Project Por Amor, an artist-run organization bringing Cubans and Americans together, will secure all participants’ Cuban Visas, assist at Havana International Airport, and provide 24-hour program management. We have developed a once in a lifetime itinerary. Alumni, parents, and friends, we hope you will travel with us!
May 11-13 at the Parque Central Hotel.
May 14 at private bed & breakfasts in Viñales Valley.
May 15 - 18 at the Saratoga Hotel.
- About 16 to 22 participants
- Deposit - $750 per person, due by December 20, 2019
- Double Occupancy - $4,950 per person ($750 plus $4,200)
- Single Occupancy - $5,550 per person ($750 plus $4,800)
- Complete payment, deposit and balance, is due February 11, 2020
- Airfare is not Included.
- For questions, please contact Ginger at email@example.com or call 503-768-7444.
- Private dance and music performances and visits with Cuban artists.
- Culinary adventures featuring traditional Cuban fare and nouveau cuisine in historic homes, on an organic farm, and dinner with a home-stay family.
- A sunset ride in restored convertibles through “The Paris of Latin America”.
- Excursions to Ernest Hemingway’s Cuban home, key museums, an outdoor book market, and a stroll through the Cuban tobacco-growing region.
- Facilitated discussions with local experts regarding architecture, Afro-Cuban spirituality, economics, history, and US-Cuban relations.
- Late night Jazz, dancing under the stars, and plenty of opportunities for exploration and discovery.
Need more information?
The most complete information, itinerary details, and terms and conditions may be found at this link from our travel partner Project Por Amor.
Learn More about Freddy.
Freddy O. Vilches joined the faculty of Lewis & Clark College as Assistant Professor of Hispanic Studies in 2006. He received his PhD in Romance Languages at the University of Oregon, specializing in Latin American Literature of the 20th and 21st Centuries. His principal research interests include Southern Cone literature, connections between literature and popular culture, Latin American testimonial writing, and detective fiction. His teaching experience covers all levels of language instruction and Latin American Literature, as well as an interdisciplinary course on Music in Latin American Cultures. He has published articles on Latin American poetry and fiction. Currently, he is working on a manuscript on the use of poetry in the Chilean New Song Movement, and articles on the Chilean and Latin American detective novel.
POSTPONED: New anticipated travel dates: April 26 - May 4, 2021