Cuba: Architecture, Art, Music, and Culture with Professor Freddy Vilches
May 23 - 31, 2019
Led by Director of Latin American Studies & Associate Professor Freddy Vilches
Accompanied by President Wim Wiewel
This is an extraordinary People-to-People trip to Havana with an excursion into the countryside. You will connect with Cuban citizens from all walks of life, including artists, educators and entrepreneurs, to discover the realities of this incredibly fascinating nation. Enjoy magnificent 20th-century architecture, spectacularly beautiful landscapes, an intriguing Afro-Cuban culture and a vibrant music, dance and art scene.
The journey will benefit from Associate Professor Freddy Vilches’ experiences in Cuba, and his expertise around Afro-Cuban music. The seasoned staff from Project Por Amor, an artist-run organization bringing Cubans and Americans together, will secure all participants’ Cuban Visas, assist at Havana International Airport, and provide 24-hour program management.
Centrally located Havana 5-Star Hotels and one night in the countryside.
- Hotel Parque Central - May 23rd, 24th, 25th
- Bed & Breakfast in Viñales - May 26th
- Hotel Nacional - May 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th
- About 16 to 19 participants.
- Private dance and music performances and visits with Cuban artists.
- Culinary adventures featuring traditional Cuban fare and nouveau cuisine in historic homes, on an organic farm, and dinner with a home-stay family.
- A sunset ride in restored convertibles through “The Paris of Latin America”.
- Excursions to Ernest Hemingway’s Cuban home, key museums, an outdoor book market, and a stroll through the Cuban tobacco-growing region.
- Facilitated discussions with local experts regarding architecture, Afro-Cuban spirituality, economics, history, and US-Cuban relations.
- Late night Jazz, dancing under the stars, and plenty of opportunities for exploration and discovery.