The Bark | August 29, 2022
The Bark | August 29, 2022
The VPSL Column
Greetings LC students!
Welcome to Fall 2022 semester at Lewis & Clark! There is much excitement in the air as we begin a new academic year! Just four weeks ago, I set foot on campus as your new vice president for student life, and I am excited to be here to lead and oversee the many offices and services that are here to support your cocurricular experiences. I thank the many staff, faculty, and countless students who have been welcoming and helpful as I have been onboarding to a new place and community. I am thrilled to begin this academic year with new President Robin Holmes-Sullivan as well as other new faces and offices across the Division of Student Life.
The Division of Student Life is made up of an outstanding team of caring leaders who are committed to supporting your success. You can learn more about all of our offices on our website. You will soon come to know the staff and student leaders as part of your network and for your success. Lean on us and take the opportunities to get involved in programs and events. We can’t wait to get to know you!
You can expect this Bark Newsletter to come to you weekly, compliments of the Division of Student Life. The Bark updates you on important information about policies, expectations, resources, operations, and more. A few highlights for now:
- Stay up-to-date on all things COVID by visiting our COVID-19 Ongoing Response website at any time.
- This week’s newsletter will serve as your annual notification to review the Student Code of Conduct. The code establishes the expectations of behavior that foster academic and communal integrity. It exists so that all students can be successful. As a member of the student community, please keep in mind the principles of mutual respect, civil discourse, responsible decision-making, and personal accountability.
- Templeton Student Center areas and offices open in phases this year. The new spaces are amazing! Please be mindful of the construction zones and pay attention to signage for updated operating hours especially for the dining venues. You can stay on top of construction projects around campus here.
I want to also take the opportunity to share with all of you my leadership vision and the things that I value:
- Enhancing the Student Experience. It is important for me to know how you experience Lewis & Clark and the ways that we can improve your environment (places, spaces, activities, school spirit, programs, communications, wellness, living, working, learning, dining, gathering, events, traditions, etc.).
- Greater Sense of Belonging and Inclusion. The more that you feel like you belong and feel included, the deeper your investment and engagement in your community. This means I want to get to know the things that are important to you as a student and ensure we have the resources, programs, opportunities, community dialogues, and support structures so that LC feels like your home too, that you are cared for, and heard.
- Collaboration. I enjoy and value working in teams, developing partnerships, and collaborative experiences. Working with others is motivating, and I have always believed the more brains, the better! I look forward to many new collaborations in my role, especially with students.
I’m on social media too: follow me onTwitter and Instagram for updates on events, campus opportunities, athletic games, fun pop-ups, or even contests or giveaways such as food, coffee/snacks or LC swag … more information will be out soon! And there will be other opportunities for us to meet, discuss, listen and learn through my office and campus hours. I’ll be available monthly in East Hall as well as in other campus buildings. Locations, dates, and time will be available on social media soon, so please stay tuned.
Have a great start to the new academic year here at Lewis & Clark. Whether this is the beginning of your college career, second or third- ear, your graduating senior year, or you just transferred here, I wish you many good memories and experiences. Welcome (and welcome back) to Lewis & Clark!
Evette Castillo Clark, EdD
Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students
Academic Support and Resources – Watzek Library, the Writing Center, the College Advising Center, the Office of Student Accessibility, the Career Center, the Keck Interactive Learning Center (ILC), SAAB Tutoring, and the Symbolic and Quantitative Resource Center (SQRC) are services available to all undergraduate students. Please see the following site for instructions on how to access and utilize these resources during the semester.
- New Title IX Coordinator – Meet Lori Makin-Byrd, the new Title IX coordinator for Lewis & Clark College. The coordinator oversees all Title IX compliance, including reports of sexual misconduct. Read more about Title IX on this page.
- Dining Hall Hours – Bon Appetit has updated location and dining hours for Fall semester.
- Residence Halls Food/Grocery Delivery Instructions – Instructions on how to have your food and grocery delivered to the right buildings on Campus. Use these specific instructions for your residence hall and never lose your food delivery again!
- New Monkeypox Information – Check out these FAQs to learn more about Monkeypox and how to prevent it.
- Parking Alternatives and Tips from the Office of Parking and Transportation – Now is the time to get your parking permit for the Fall 2022 semester. Fall Permits are available online now, and fall parking enforcement begins on September 1. The office of Parking and Transportation has put together a list of alternatives that should help alleviate some frustration and avoid the risk of citation or other disciplinary actions.
Bookstore hours – Regular hours for the bookstore will be 9am - 4pm, Monday through Friday, for Fall semester.
September 2, 2022 | 3:00pm - 5:00pm | Academic Side of campus
Meet student leaders from L&C’s 100+ recognized student organizations as well as many L&C departments and learn about what they have planned for the year and how you can get involved!
September 1, 2022 | 6:30pm - 7:30pm | Zoom
- Join Lewis & Clark College alumni Ellie Miller BA ’20 and Sarah Lind-MacMillan BA ’22 for an info session about the U.S. Foreign Service and various diplomatic fellowships available to college seniors and anyone with an undergraduate degree.
September 3, 2022 | 11:30am - 1:00pm
Please join the Inclusion & Multicultural Engagement (IME) office to celebrate and kickstart the fall semester with food, lawn games, music, and mingling. RSVP required by August 31, 2022.
Don’t miss your chance to audition for the Fall 2022 Theater productions!
Featured On-Campus Employment Opportunities
Work-Study preferred but not required | Center for Community and Global Health
- The Center for Community and Global Health Student Staff position will promote and support the work, programs, events, and opportunities at the Center to the Lewis & Clark community.
Want to contribute news/events/information? Click on this link.