School navigation


I am currently working as a school counselor on an Emergency License or a Restricted Transitional School Counseling License. How can I complete the program?

December 23, 2009

Working school counselors on a short-term license should apply to the program as soon as possible. Since these particular licenses have expiration dates, you are encouraged to apply as early as possible to give yourself the time necessary to complete the entire program, which most often takes two years to complete. Admission time occurs only once a year (February 1 application deadline for a summer or fall start), so plan accordingly. Working school counselors will need to inquire within their current school district about scheduling flexibility, as internships will need to be completed during work hours, plus any additional coursework on campus during the evenings, weekends, or summer terms.

Share this story on