School navigation


Do I need to be a teacher to enter a school counseling program? What is the difference between Track I and Track II?

December 23, 2009

No, you do not need to hold a teaching license in order to enter a school counseling program. Track I of each program is designed for students who already hold a teaching license and have taught successfully for two years under that license. The SCED 517 course is not a requirement for Track I students.

Track II of each program is designed for students who have no prior teaching experience. In Oregon, there is a requirement that school counselors must have some formal teaching experience, so Track II programs include an additional course, SCED 517 Practicum in Classroom Instruction, that places students in a classroom setting and helps meet that requirement. After completing this requirement and earning an Preliminary School Counseling license, students are also eligible to substitute teach in the state of Oregon.


Share this story on