Spring is just around the corner but winter colds and flus are still with us. Some of you are familiar with the upper respiratory infection that is currently going around on campus. Here are some tips for staying healthy and stopping the spread of germs on campus.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. If you are sick, isolate yourself from others as much as possible (at least 3 feet).
- If you have a fever, do not go to class, internships, field activities, meetings, athletics or go to the dining hall until 24 hours after your fever is gone.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- If your symptoms get worse, contact the Student Health Service or your medical provider. For after hours and weekends you may contact the Nurse Consultation Service for advice 1 800 607-5501.
Practice good health habits. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home or in your room especially when someone is ill. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.