



No. 17 | March 30, 2021

[Link to Zoom meeting space](#) | Live Transcript

**1. Welcome & Land Acknowledgement**

**2. Forum with VP Robin Holmes-Sullivan and Dean Bruce Suttmeier**

If you would like to see the video for this please email the Auditor at [auditor@lclark.edu](mailto:auditor@lclark.edu)

**3. SAAB Chair Conformation**

JK: We need to confirm the SAAB chair positions. It is more of a co-chair position. They will be taking on the duties that Arunima hadd. This will be done by Ela HC. Ela would you like to say anything about this?

EP: We had HC one of the SAAB representatives and future grants director. She wanted to help out and the responsibilities were split between us. We are looking forward to finding a chair for next year.

JK: This is slut between two people to share those roles. We have talked about a stipend for them in the Cabinet. Are there questions we will need a vote for SAAB co-chair.

OW: Motion to vote

PC: Second

JK: All in favor for Ela and HC please vote yes. I see a lot of yesses. That is about everyone who can vote and now they will be the chairs for SAAB.

#### 4. Legislation

QG: I will get a brief overview of this bill (SP21 SB003). This is a long bill because we are putting 2 bylaws into one. This is basically a new document so there will not be highlights. We are trying to combine the finance committee and the SOC because they both do similar functions and the separations of the committees confuses more students. Some other context from where I am coming from. I am the SOC this year and I was on the finance and SOC committee as well. I took those experiences and combined the bylaws. Basically we simplified the funding process and made a couple changes so that the committee has more discretion in certain years. For example allocations are supposed to take place in April, but that actually takes the whole spring semester. Sam is going to be the Treasurer next year and can change the bylaws if more issues arise. I am open to questions and for you all to

SD: This is a big change so this is our initial bylaws. I believe this process and these bylaws will be different by next fall. We need to change the titles a bit. Hopefully with this new committee we will have 5 senators and since allocations is a more tangible process, having more people is better.

JK: Before we jump into questions, does this change the election process?

SD: This will not be like the VP or President, there is no joint ticket situation.

PC: Let's say if someone has no experience in SOC or finance committee, is there anything else that we should know before we vote on it?

QG: I know everyone has different areas of expertise. The committees had differences in the leadership roles. I work more with students where Sam works more with student engagement. So combining those leadership roles is a bit difficult to put together. As Sam was saying, because we know that this transition is happening, next year's SOC and Finance Coordinator can work over the summer and next fall to work out the kinks.

SD: Quentin said what I would say. The grants sound very similar for both committees and therefore making it for both groups and putting it together will help simplify the process.

JK: Currently every organization is supposed to have a president, VP, and treasurer. The organization will then apply for money and will also handle the money throughout the year. Many years ago the senate had this job and to make it simpler SOC was created. The treasurer handles the money while SOC gives out the money for the year. Moving money from accounts is what the Treasurer does. They also work on ASLCs budget, but SOC manages the overall budget. Having both the roles that have separate jobs, there can become an issue. During COVID there is less asking for grants and reimbursements, therefore the job of the Finance and SOC coordinator has been less busy. Harold had mentioned this and said that making one person can cause some worry because they would be handling all those grants. I think that streamlining the money part in one place is a step in the right direction.

CA: I am curious why we have the credit card process and renting the credit card? Right now I just go to Mikah for FSU needs. Mikah is graduating and will not be here to do this.

RC: It just happens to be that Mikah works in Student Engagement and also the president. He is the one who has been tasked with the credit cards. There will be another Mikah next year. We use more credit cards than in the past. We want to make sure that you are fronting the money for yourself.

JK: Right now finance and SOC get 3 senators each and we reduced it to 5 because having more will help keep sufficient representation. The other senator will be in CAB now because that was added to ASLC this year. No questions? Do we want some time to read through the bill?

FP: Motion to vote

PC: Second

JK: We are now voting on this Bill and I will call names

JS: Yes

CA: Yes

TP: Yes

OW: Yes

PC: Yes

FP: Yes

GR: Yes

HS: Yes

MM: Yes

LJ: YEs

CL:Yes

OW: Yes

BM: Yes

NO: Yes

IF: Yes

MG: Yes

AG: Yes

JK: Unanimous pass and this bill will take effect at the end of this year.

## **5. Compensation Letter**

JK: Jacques has put together to fill out a form for you all to fill out for looking at the governing documents.

JP: We want if necessary to adapt position descriptions to the governing documents and we want to be as accurate as possible with this. My estimates are around 50-70 people in ASLC and I cannot do an interview with all of you. We will have an interview available. These questions are intentionally vague because we want to encompass all that we need for that.

PC: I don't know if there was a senator description, so having one at all is good.

JP: If you have filled it out already you are fine, the best you can do is put a PDF of the senate bylaws.

EP: In the SAAB meeting I asked the representatives to fill out the form. We are planning to change the bylaws and I can send the updated job responsibilities.

JP: That is fine.

PC: I don't know if I have a necessary set amount of hours, so should I overestimate or underestimate?

JP: Just give the range.

## 6. Closing remarks/announcements

AG: Motion to adjourn

MM: Second

**AG:** Anna Graff - ASLC Asian Student Union Representative  
**CA:** Caroline Arnis - ASLC Feminist Student Union Representative  
**CL:** Carley LaPlaca - ASLC Queer Student Union Representative  
**EP:** Ela Pencil - ASLC Student Academic Board Co-Chair  
**BM:** Brenda Macario Cinto - ASLC Gente Latina Unida Representative  
**FP:** Francisco Perozo - ASLC International Students of L&C Representative  
**GR:** George Reinhardt - ASLC Senator  
**HS:** Hope Smothers - ASLC Disabled Students Union Representative  
**IF:** Iyanah Fuller - ASLC Black Student Union Representative  
**JK:** Jeremiah Koshy - ASLC Vice President  
**JS:** Josie Stenzel - ASLC Senator  
**LJ:** Lily Johnson - ASLC Senator  
**JP:** Jacques Parker - Chief Justice

**MG:** Molly Gibbons - ASLC Senator  
**MM:** Madeleine Macwilliamson - ASLC Senator  
**NO:** Nathan Oakley - ASLC Senator  
**OW:** Olivia Weiss - ASLC Senator  
**OW:** Orion Whitcher - ASLC Senator  
**PC:** Phoenix Cox - ASLC Senator  
**QG:** Quentin Gaul - ASLC Student Organizations Committee Chair  
**RC:** Rocky Campbell - ASLC Advisor  
**SD:** Sam Daer - ASLC Treasurer  
**TP:** Tor Parsons - ASLC Senator