March 20th Deadline for L&C’s “Incubator+Launch Seed Fund”
Date: 12:00pm PDT March 20, 2014 Location: Lewis & Clark
- Credit: Adam Bacher. All Rights Reserved.
Lewis & Clark
The Period for Applications has closed.
Incubator+Launch Seed Fund Overview:
Each semester, teams of students and recent alumni will be invited to apply for selection by the Incubator+Launch Seed Fund. All applicants will have the opportunity to benefit from the Fund’s structured learning experiences and mentoring opportunities. Those teams accepted into the Fund will have further opportunities including initial financial support throughout the academic year. Periodically, incubator teams that are ready to launch their efforts on a larger scale will be invited to pitch their ventures to a panel of experts with the opportunity to secure more significant investments of up to $10,000 to $20,000 from the Fund.
Based on the Application to Participate (see guidelines below), four to six teams will be selected each semester to develop their ventures with the support of Fund. These teams will be offered mentoring and learning experiences, and they will have the opportunity to apply for up to $2,000 to reimburse third-party expenses associated with kick-starting their venture.
Please note that the Incubator+Launch Seed Fund is designed to emphasize learning, development, and collaboration. Thus, Fund staff, mentors, judges, and other participants will not be asked to sign non-disclosure agreements. If teams desire to protect intellectual property, it is their responsibility to do so, understanding that any information given to individuals associated with the Fund may be publicly disclosed.
Teams of students from any of the College’s three schools and recent alumni from the Classes of 2012 & 2013 are currently invited to submit an “Application to Participate” by Thursday, March 20th (deadline at 12:00 noon). All entrepreneurial ventures are welcome, including non-profit and for-profit enterprises, and both idea-stage proposals and proposals to advance existing early-stage ventures are eligible – including those that have previously applied and are now improved. An information session and chance to network with potential teammates will be held on Monday, March 10th at 4PM. To get location information about this event, and to register, please send an email to email@example.com with the subject line, “I+L Seed Fund March Information Session).
Applications to Participate must adhere to the following guidelines in order to ensure full consideration:
(1) Teams must consist of three or more individuals, and at least 50% of a team’s membership must be Lewis & Clark students from the College of Arts and Sciences, Law School, and Graduate School of Education & Counseling or recent alumni of these schools from the Classes of 2012 & 2013.
(2) Teams must commit to participating in the Incubator+Launch Fund’s mentoring program and learning experiences to the extent that their schedules allow. These activities will commence in early April.
(3) The Application to Participate consists of two parts: a proposal summary explaining the team’s proposed venture and the value it will deliver if successful. (The summary should be double spaced and have 800 words max.). Additionally a one-page maximum bio-sketch for each team member must be provided.
(4) The proposal summary should be an interesting and concise description of the proposed service or product, and should include clear and persuasive information to the following questions:
- What is the value created or problem solved by the proposed venture?
- Who are the target users or beneficiaries of the venture, and how will they benefit from the proposed service or product to them?
- What is the size of the target market or need, and how is this market or need currently served?
- What advantages does the proposed service or product have over existing services or products?
- What is the likely funding you will need to begin the venture?
- Who is your team, and what strengths do you each bring to the venture?
- What is your venture’s current status and specific goals over the next 2, 6, and 12 months?
- What do you see as the major challenges for your team in reaching these goals?
(5) Each team member’s biosketch should begin with a one-paragraph description of his or her interests, relevant experiences and skills, and likely contributions to the proposed venture (approximately one-third of a page), followed by an abbreviated resume listing any relevant experience (approximately two-thirds of a page). Biosketches should include the person’s affiliation with Lewis & Clark College, contact information, major/field of study, and evidence of academic standing including GPA. Biosketches must not exceed the one-page limit.
(6) The Application to Participate must be combined into a single PDF-formatted document and submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12:00pm Thursday, March 20th. Teams selected for the first group of cohorts for the 2014 Incubator+Launch Fund will be notified immediately after Spring Break on Monday, March 31st.
Questions about the Lewis & Clark’s Incubator+Launch Fund should be directed to the Center for Entrepreneurship’s Directors, Michael Kaplan and Brian Detweiler-Bedell, at email@example.com.