1. To attain Advanced Low level in the student’s primary or major foreign language (according to standards set out by the American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Languages, ACTFL) in reading, writing, aural comprehension and speaking.
2. To attain, if minoring or studying a secondary foreign language, an ACTFL level of intermediate high in this language.
3. To gain a background in the literary, linguistic and cultural histories of another country.
4. To use critical skills to analyze literary and cultural texts.
5. To achieve cultural competency through living in another cultural and linguistic environment.