RHMS courses and requirements are designed to provide students with opportunities to achieve the following learning outcomes:
1. Master key theories of rhetoric and media studies and their applications in specific areas of the field, such as popular culture, race, gender, film, health, and new media.
2. Develop literacy in the central methodologies—critical, rhetorical, empirical—employed by scholars in the field.
3. Apply knowledge to ethical and practical problems through coursework, internships, practica, and/or civic engagement.
4. Develop skill in presenting ideas orally, visually, and in writing.
5. Conduct and present an original, independent capstone project that utilizes appropriate theory and methodology.