Music Department COVID Policies
REQUIREMENTS FOR SINGERS AND WIND PLAYERS
- All singers and wind players must be fully vaccinated and boosted, without exception.
- All singers must wear KN95 masks while singing on campus. KN95 masks for singing will be provided by the music department; please see your instructor or the music department office for a mask.
- All wind players must wear specialized masks and use bell covers. Until you have a mask and bell cover for wind playing, you will not be permitted to play on campus. The music department will provide specialized masks and bell covers for all wind players enrolled in ensembles, so we ask that you email your ensemble director in advance with the details about your instrument so that we may have this equipment for you prior to the beginning of the semester.
All department ensembles that include wind players will take place in designated rooms and times only. Rehearsals/recordings/
performances can be no longer than 50 minutes at a time in a particular location, with a break to clear the room of aerosols of 10 minutes in duration, prior to rehearsing for another 50 minutes, and repeating as needed.
PRACTICING IN EVANS
Students enrolled in music lessons, ensembles, and music theory classes are automatically registered in the practice room signup site database. All other students wishing to use the practice rooms should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unvaccinated students must remain masked in the practice rooms.
The practice room signup site resets at midnight daily. Students are required to observe all of the posted protocols, which include:
- Never accessing a practice room without first signing up online.
- Washing and sanitizing hands before using shared equipment, like pianos.
- Wiping down pianos after use.
- Relinquishing practice rooms at the scheduled time, even if you arrived late (this ensures a proper airing-out period before the next person enters.)
- Leaving practice rooms doors propped open with the provided door stops.
Your commitment to these protocols helps to ensure the safety of our community. Any student found to be violating protocols will be reported to the college and will lose practice room privileges for the remainder of the semester.
GENERAL ROOM USAGE
There is to be no unscheduled room usage in Evans Music Center for the entirety of the 2021-2022 school year. An empty room does not equal an available room, since every space is scheduled for a period of aerosol dispersal after each use. To reserve a room, please email Becky Guderian at email@example.com, but note that room availability will be greatly curtailed this year.
Ensembles WILL meet, though they will look different, for obvious reasons of health and safety. Please direct detailed questions about the nature of a particular ensemble to the respective ensemble director. You can find a list of ensembles and contact information here.
RECITAL AND COLLABORATION
Performers wishing to collaborate with another musician on campus must receive special permission from the department; please contact the department chair, Susan Smith, to submit a COVID safety proposal.
Ensemble directors and students preparing recitals must have their COVID rehearsal and performance safety plan pre-approved by the department chair.
Questions? Please email our Administrative Specialist, Becky Guderian, at firstname.lastname@example.org.