What You Can Do With A Major in Studio Art or in Art History
The most basic answer to the question, What do you do with a major in Studio Art or in Art History is to take lifelong pleasure and achieve personal enrichment by creating, viewing, and understanding art in a historical context. A major in Studio Art or in Art History also prepares students for a variety of different careers, and our graduates follow many different and exciting paths. The following list gives just a few examples of the kinds of professional work our majors are doing, from the recent graduates to those well established professionally.
Examples of positions obtained by art graduates:
- Designer for TBWA Advertising, New York
- Director, Denver Art Museum, Colorado
- Professor of art history, Loyola University, Chicago
- Owner of galleries specializing in old masters paintings, New York & Paris
- Professor of ceramics, Rowan University, Glassboro, New Jersey
- Landscape Architect, Bridgeport, Connecticut
- Education coordinator, Bullseye Glass, Portland
- Co-owner of art gallery, Stockholm, Sweden
Examples of museum and gallery work:
- Partner, Shepherd Galleries in New York.
- Founder of Haboldt Galleries, New York and Paris
- Mark Woolley Gallery, Portland
- Publications Manager and Graphic Designer for the newly named and relocated Museum of Contemporary Crafts in Portland.
- Founder of Gallery 500 in Portland.
Examples of journalism and filmmaking:
- Photojournalist. Featured in Aperture this past year and has published essays in Photo District News, the New York Times, and Time Magazine.
- Documentary Filmmaker. Documented the impact of the Hanford Nuclear and Chemical Weapons Depot.
- Assistant at Mirabella Studios
- Provides visual references for commercial, film, and music video directors in Los Angeles.
Examples of teaching and graduate work:
- Professor of Art History at Loyola University, Chicago.
- Assistant Professor of Ceramics at Wichita State University, Kansas
- Art Department Chair and Professor of Ceramics at Rowen University, NJ
- MFA in photography from Columbia College in Chicago.
- MFA in sculpture from Portland State University.
- MFA in Ceramics at the University of Tennessee
- MFA in Ceramics at the University of Arizona
- MFA in Sculpture at Chico State
- MFA in Ceramics at Cranbrook Academy of Art, Graduate School of Art
- MFA in Sculpture at the University of Wisconsin, Madison
- MFA Pennsylvania Academy of Art
- MA in Landscape Architecture, University of California, Berkeley
- MA in Architecture, University of Oregon
Examples of art in business:
- Public Relations Manager at Groth Vineyards, Napa Valley
- Interior Design
- Sustainable Architecture firm
- Landscape Architecture
Examples of student internships:
- Portland Art Museum, Portland
- Lis DeMarco Graphic Design Agency, Portland
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- Fletcher Finch Farr Architects, Portland
- University of Oregon Museum, Eugene
- Drawing Center, New York
- Wieden+Kennedy, Portland
- Polaroid 20 x 24 Studio, New York
- Oregon Historical Society, Portland