The 141stAnnual Commencement, Lewis & Clark College
LINEUP INSTRUCTIONS AND CEREMONY OVERVIEW
Saturday, May 10, 1 p.m., Templeton, Fields Dining Hall
Because of construction, the only entrance to Fields are the doors in the Northwest corner (near the Pioneer Express stop)
- When you arrive with your cap/gown, pick up your numbered name card and Commencement program at the tables near the West windows in Fields and keep them with you.
- Line up numerically by number on your name card. This provides alphabetical order of those marching.
- You will be seated and receive your degrees in this order as well.
- Signs will be posted to assist in finding your location in line.
- It is very important that you maintain your place in line.
- Tassels should be worn on the right side of the cap and moved to the left side after you receive your diploma cover.
- Faculty marshals will be help you line up.
- If you leave any of your belongings in Fields Dining Hall, they will be taken by staff to the Campus Safety Office where you may pick them up later.
Marshals for Faculty
Marshals for Degree Candidates
- Faculty marshals will lead the processional and recessional to/from the event venue.
- At a designated point, faculty, staff, and platform party will form two rows and degree candidates will process between them, following the flags.
- Degree candidates will then process into the venue and down the middle aisle
- As directed by marshals, please move down to the end of the row quickly to avoid a back-up of candidates in the center aisle.
- Do not leave any empty seats Place your Commencement program on your seat to mark it as yours.
Remain standing through the Processional, the Formal Call to Order by the Mace Bearer, and the U.S. National Anthems, sung by the Senior Chorus.
- Remain seated for the invocation, welcoming remarks by the Dean Jordan and President Glassner; Commencement address; conferral of honorary degrees; and Senior Speaker.
- Following the Senior Speaker, Dean Jordan will make brief remarks in general about the class and ask various groups and individuals to stand to be recognized.
- Dean Jordan will then ask degree candidates to stand for conferral of degree.
President Glassner will formally confer your Bachelor of Arts degrees as a graduating class.
PRESENTATION OF DIPLOMA COVER WITH CONGRATULATORY MESSAGE FROM FACULTY BY PRESIDENT
- Following the conferral, Dean Jordan will ask that you be seated and come forward at the direction of the marshals who will assist in guiding this process.
- Candidates on LEFT FACING STAGE will exit for stage from the left. Following conferral of degree, you will proceed to your seat via the center aisle.
- Candidates on the RIGHT FACING STAGE will process to the stage for degree conferral by exiting your row on the right side (facing stage). Then proceed back until you reach the end of candidate rows and continue to the outside aisle of those graduates seated in the left column. Proceed toward stage on their left. When you receive your degree, proceed in front of the stage and return to your seat via the center aisle.
- Give your name card to the faculty marshal at the base of the ramp to the stage.
- Your name will be read by the faculty reader.
- As you walk across the stage, President Glassner will present your diploma cover—with congratulatory message from faculty—and shake your hand.
- At that moment, a professional photo will be taken.
- Dean Jordan and other members of the platform party will also congratulate you as you cross the stage.
- As you descend the ramp from the stage, please stop for a professional photograph in front of the Manor House backdrop.
- When you return to your seat, please remain seated until all graduates have been recognized individually.
CEREMONY CLOSE AND RECESSION
- Dean Jordan will deliver a charge to the class and invite the audience to stand for the singing of the Alma Mater.
- The Graduate Chorus will lead in the singing of the Alma Mater.
Guests will be invited to the President’s Reception held on the Frank Manor House grounds. In the event of inclement weather, complimentary refreshments will be available in Fields Dining room, Frank Manor House, and at the Hoffman Gallery of Contemporary Art.
- At the end of the ceremony, the platform party will lead you in a formal recessional to the disband area on the Stewart-Odell-Akin lawn. The faculty marshals will direct you.
ORDER OF RECESSION
Marshal for Faculty
Marshals for Graduates
- You will recess through two rows of alumni who will symbolically welcome you to the Alumni Association.
- Proceed to the reception area of your choice or, weather permitting, enjoy the Frank Manor grounds. Complimentary light refreshments will be inside at the venues noted above.
- Celebrate your achievements with family and friends.
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE CLASS OF 2014!